Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Spider Summer Interns

Who: Christine Cassaro, '12

Where: Program Associate for World Energy Forum, New York, N.Y.

The good: "As an environmental studies major, this was the perfect internship for me, as I was able to apply the skills I had learned at the University of Richmond in a professional setting...I was excited to be part of a team fighting for a cause that I am interested in."

What I learned: "As energy sources are rapidly depleting, it is imperative to involve students, the decision-makers of tomorrow, in an initiative to thwart the ever increasing threat presented by our current energy situation."

How it helped with my future: "The internship was an invaluable experience, and as a result I can see myself working in a similar non-profit setting when I graduate."

Who: Matt Woolley, '12

Where: Merion Wealth Partners, Philadelphia, Pa.

What: "Assisted in firm mergers and acquisitions, built fixed income and equity financial investment portfolios."

The good: "Was able to apply the skills I have learned in the classroom in a real world setting."

The bad: "Working weekends and holidays"

How it helps: "Besides being a great resume builder I gained many contacts in the industry who will be great resources as I try to find the best post-graduation job."

Who: Neville Hemming, '12

Where: Duff & Phelps LLC, Chicago, IL

What: "Duff is a publicly traded NYSE listed middle-market valuation firm and investment bank. I worked in their investment banking group and more specifically transaction opinions."

The good: "I really enjoyed the internship and in particular, the people I worked with. It was a great group of guys who I learned a ton from. It was a great opportunity to create contacts, learn, and get a look at what the industry is actually like."

The bad: "Like probably everyone interning my least favorite part was waking up early and being stuck in an office all summer. Not exactly as fun as Richmond but there is not much you can do about it right?"

How it will help: "This internship helped me figured out what I want to pursue next year as well as gave me some great contacts in the industry. Also I think Chicago is often overlooked as a place for Richmond kids to work after school. It has tons of opportunities and tons of fun stuff to do."

Who: Jack Wisnefske, '12

Where: Intern to the Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC) at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Washington, D.C.

What: "My work focused primarily on Southwest border violence, federal immigration enforcement, and countering domestic violent extremism. To that end, my tasks included preparing briefing materials for the advisory council members, organizing meetings designed to incorporate input from immigration stakeholders and developing a strategic outreach program for the DHS to help counter domestic violent extremism."

The good: "I really enjoyed being part of a team that sought constructive and meaningful dialogue and promoted thoughtful policy resolutions to some of our country's most complex problems. I walked away with an appreciation for the complexity of our national debates on immigration and domestic violent extremism as well as a deep respect for federal, state, and local law enforcement."

The not-so-good: "The part that I found perhaps most challenging was the short timeline for recommendations requested by the Secretary due to the especially political and time sensitive topics we were discussing. Contrary to popular belief, the federal government can move with relative speed if called upon.

How it will help with my future: "My summer at the DHS played an important role in introducing me to the various job opportunities within federal agencies as well as giving me the skills to confidently enter the workforce post graduation"