Service held to remember those who died on Sept. 11

The University of Richmond held a 9/11 memorial service last Sunday to remember those who died on September 11, 2001.

The university community gathered in the Cannon Memorial Chapel for the special half-hour service that started at 2 p.m.

The university chaplain, Craig Kocher, delivered a sermon to start the service. Kocher told the audience that his desire for the service was to pay tribute to and remember those who died 10 years ago on 9/11 through readings, music and the symbolic lighting of candles. Kocher said everyone that they were gathered in the chapel together as a community and he said that he hoped that through this service they would all recognize their need for one another in desperate times.

Kocher made a point to acknowledge that each member of the audience had their own unique memories and connections to the tragedy. Some had loved ones die, others could remember where they were when they heard the news and how it changed their perceptions of the world. Many could remember the images shown on the news or the looks on their parent's faces when they got into the car after school that day, Kocher said.

University of Richmond president Edward Ayers attended the ceremony and recalled his memories of 9/11.

"I had just taken over as the dean of [the University of Virginia] three weeks earlier and suddenly this happened," Ayers said. "I had to get a big auditorium ready and try to organize people to stand up and talk about what just happened. I had to try and help a community figure out how to explain these things to itself.

"It showed me the larger purpose of academic leadership and education beyond the classroom."

Kocher went on to explain that each person would light a candle for those that lost their lives that day. He said the light symbolized prayer, our memories, hope for the future and any special intentions people hold in their hearts. He ended his sermon by explaining that the music chosen represents healing and hoped and was specifically chosen for this occasion.

The University of Richmond's chorus group, Schola Cantorum, sang several songs including "O World, I must Leave You Now" by Johannes Brahms, "Deep River" by Jeffrey Riehl, and "In Paradisum" by Gabriel Faure.

Three readings were done during the service each representing a different religion. Rabbi Andrew Goodman, the director of Jewish Life on campus, did a reading from the Jewish tradition. Benjamin Smith, who works with the Muslim campus ministry group, did a reading from the Muslim tradition. Thomas Mullen, Catholic Campus Minister, did a reading from the Christian tradition.

Kocher then read the names of those that had died who were alumni or family members of alumni of the University of Richmond.

"I wanted to do this service here because I wanted to give people the chance to come together and acknowledge the pain that still exists and give them the opportunity to rekindle the light of hope," Kocher said. "I also wanted to honor the alums and their family members who died in this tragedy."

The service was meant to unite people who were all effected by a common tragedy, Kocher said. The university also hosted a blood drive on Sunday as part of "Muslims for Life," a nationwide campaign to honor those who died on 9/11.

Contact reporter Taylor Procopio at taylor.procopio@richmond.edu