Spiders top 21st-ranked Tribe 2-0

Sophomore Becca Wann, the current Atlantic 10 Conference player of the week, scored both goals for the Spiders as the University of Richmond women's soccer team edged No. 21 William & Mary Colleg,e 2-0, Thursday night at Robins Stadium.

Wann scored the game winner in the second minute off a corner kick from senior Liza Koch. Wann made a run to the back post and headed the ball back across the net, beating the keeper to the top-right corner.

"Honestly, what I was thinking was there's a really short girl on me and I think I can score on this one," Wann said. "After that one, they started double-teaming me, so I'm glad we capitalized on the first one."

It was the team's first-ever victory against William & Mary, and the first victory over a ranked opponent since 2009.

"I thought we were the better team from beginning to end," Richmond head coach Peter Albright said. "I told them they've done something no Richmond team has ever done before, and I think this team has the potential to do some other things that no team has done before."

The game was delayed 30 minutes during half time because of a thunderstorm passing through the area. The lull in play didn't faze the Spiders' attack, as they still outshot the Tribe 6-4 in the second half, and 13-10 overall.

"I told them that the rain is an adversary and the delay is an adversary," Albright said. "It's like the wind blowing in your face or bad calls from the referee; you have to overcome them."

Wann scored again in the 85th minute off a shot from 25 yards out. Junior Natalie LeClair played a square pass to Wann, who drove the ball to the low, near corner of the net.

"I was aiming for the far post, but it went near post," Wann said. "With the wet conditions, anything can happen."

The defense shut out its opponent for the third time this season. The back line of Lindsay Wicher, Kristin Lescalleet, Crystal Koczot and Melissa Alvarez Freeman held the Tribe to just four shots on goal.

Wicher said: "We're pretty young. We had a freshman, Melissa, with us tonight, and she played amazing. She really stepped up to the plate."

The Spiders return to action at Robins Stadium at 6 p.m. Sunday against Liberty.

"Having a 2-0 weekend is always a nice thing," Wicher said. "Especially with A-10s coming up, we really want to keep shutting teams out, keep winning, keep playing well and keep getting better."

Contact staff writer Scott Himelein at scott.himelein@richmond.edu