Women's soccer picks up first win of year, 4-0, over ODU

The University of Richmond women's soccer team didn't have the start to the season that it wanted. Two frustrating ties, one to Longwood University and the other to George Mason University, left head coach Peter Albright looking for answers.

"The ties were disappointing because we felt we were the better team in both games," Albright said.

But after the Spiders' 4-0 win against Old Dominion University Thursday night at Robins Stadium, the Spiders appeared to have found their way.

In the 28th minute, Richmond began a relentless push. Sophomore forward Becca Wan put a shot on goal, which sailed slightly wide. But the ball was quickly kicked back towards the goal box.

It was there that forward Ashley Williams had a good shot on goal, which almost found the net. Instead, it hit off the crossbar but Wann was in the right position for the rebound and scored to put Richmond up 1-0.

"The first four games I've been in a little bit of a slump, so it was nice to get that one there," Wann said.

And once again it was Wann, the 2010 Atlantic 10 Conference rookie of the year, who continued to lead Richmond's attack.

Wann helped engineer many of Richmond's 15 first-half shots on goal thanks to the combination of her stature - which allowed her to control headers - and her athleticism - which enabled her to blow by Monarch defenders.

"She's impossible to defend one-on-one," Albright said. "She climbs the ladder and can finish with her head like no one I've ever seen."

Less than two minutes after the beginning of the second half, Wann extended Richmond's lead to 2-0 with a header that sailed into the net off of a beautiful feed by forward Natalie LeClair.

Later in the half, Wann's teammates got in on the scoring as Emily Dale, a first-half substitute, took a shot from 20 yards out that would rival Pele. A rainbow shot off the throw in by Wann sailed perfectly into the upper-right part of the net in the 52nd minute made it a 3-0 lead for Richmond.

"That was a beautiful goal," Wann said of the goal.

While Richmond's powerful offense continued to pound shot after shot against the Monarch defense, the Spiders' defense had stellar play of its own. Backs Liza Coch, Virginia Chandler, Lindsay Wicher and LeighAnn Baxter played physical defense that either forced a long-range shot or contested any close Monarch shot.

"Our mindset was we were getting the win," Wann said. "We decided that we really needed a win and that [this game] wasn't going to even be close."

Wann finished off her spectacular night scoring her third goal off of another header in the 70th minute. That would be the last of the scoring giving the Spiders their first victory at Robins Stadium.

"Everybody feels like this is a special team," Albright said.

The Spiders (1-2-2) will look for their second win of the season when they face James Madison University on September 4.

Contact reporter Will Offit at will.offit@richmond.edu