UMass hands Spiders fifth-straight loss, 28-7

After only giving up only seven first-quarter points through its first seven games, University of Richmond allowed 21 to University of Massachusetts, resulting in the Spiders' fifth consecutive loss, 28-7.

The loss is just Richmond's second by greater than three points (the other being to James Madison University, 31-7), but all five have come to opponents in the Colonial Athletic Association. This defeat won't show up on the Spiders' conference record though because the Minutemen are ineligible for the playoffs because they are moving up to the Mid-American Football Conference next season, a Football Bowl Subdivision conference.

UMass went 64 yards in eight plays, ending with a two-yard rushing touchdown by running back Jonathan Hernandez, on the game's opening possession and it was only getting started.

Hernandez continued to run well on the Spiders' defense, finishing with 103 yards rushing and scoring twice more, once again in the first quarter and in the third quarter.

After the first score, the Minutemen successfully executed a surprise onside kick which, despite not directly resulting in points for UMass, kept field position and momentum in the team's favor.

"It was part of the game plan coming in this week," UMass coach Kevin Morris said about the kick. "We've actually had it in all year; we just haven't had an opportunity yet to put it in play, but we had it today, and our guys did a good job executing it."

Turnovers were the problem for Richmond's offense, finishing with six. Four of the six were interceptions thrown by quarterback Aaron Corp who had 196 yards passing for the game. The Spiders scored their lone touchdown in the second quarter on a six-yard connection from Corp to wide receiver Tre Gray.

"Can't beat a good football team turning over the ball like we did," Richmond interim coach Wayne Lineburg said. "But it's not a matter of effort. The kids played hard."

The turnovers left the Richmond defense defending a short field, though the unit did have a pair of goal line stands and benefited from two missed field goals from close range.

"Obviously, the turnovers were huge for us," Morris said. "To win the turnover margin, you have to do that to win on the road in the CAA."

Corp left the game early in the fourth quarter with an apparent injury to his hip. He was replaced by backup John Laub who went on to throw for 103 yards.

"There were some things [Laub] did well, but Aaron's still our starting quarterback as long as he's healthy here," Lineburg said. "He's done some great things this year."

Richmond (3-5) will travel to Norfolk, Va., next Saturday to face Old Dominion University at 2 p.m.

Lineburg said his team would look to play the role of spoiler with its next three games.

"Obviously we took a step back today; there's no question about it," he said.

Game Notes: Gray led the team in receiving with 10 receptions for 105 yards, his fifth 100-yard game this season... The five-game losing streak is Richmond's longest since 2004... UMass receiver Jesse Julmiste caught seven passes for 105 yards and a touchdown.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu