Spiders topple Billikens, 6-1

The University of Richmond field hockey team tallied its highest goal total Friday, defeating Saint Louis University, 6-1, in its Atlantic-10 Conference opener.

Five different Spiders scored on the game, with only senior forward Katelin Peterson scoring twice. She also had one assist.

"I think that the offense's success stemmed a lot from the game plan set forth by the coaches," Peterson said. "A lot of our goals were very spaced out, so it's just a really big team effort."

One noticeable strategy Richmond employed was a change to the on-field formation.

"We tactfully changed thing up a little bit and put three forwards," Spiders head coach Gina Lucido said. "Typically we play with two, and the girls were able to use that momentum of having an extra player up there to get more chances. I think we were definitely more threatening on the front line today."

Richmond went into halftime leading 2-0 on goals from Peterson and sophomore Christina Amerose.

The Spiders didn't waste much time, extending its lead six minutes into the second half, going up 3-0 on a shot from junior backer Catherine Ostoich from about 15 yards out that was deflected in by sophomore Chelsea Davies.

The Billikens scored its lone goal seven minutes later, but Richmond wasn't done.

Ostoich scored unassisted on a shot very similar to the one deflected in earlier, followed by another Peterson goal on an assist from freshman Rebecca Barry.

Samantha Ostoich finished the scoring spree on an assist from junior Liesl Schnuck with under a minute left in the game.

The win is the team's second in a row, and the Spiders (7-5) will face Pacific University at noon Saturday, also on Crenshaw Field.

"In the A-10, every single opponent is going to be something you have to go out and prove yourself again," Lucido said.

Game Notes: Peterson's first goal was assisted by junior Jackie Gyger... The Spiders outshot the Billikens 23-2... Richmond also held a large advantage in corners, 13-1.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu