Letter to the Editor: Risk on campus

Multiple types of media affect our perceptions and realities about all aspects of our lives. Such has been the case recently at the University of Richmond involving a social event sponsored by Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. As it often happens, the use of social media provides information without full context or accuracy. Below are some facts regarding the social event:

1. The University of Richmond's campus hosts many events that have off campus attendees, as did this one.

2. During the social event, an altercation developed; the host organization's members did an outstanding job of fulfilling all risk management expectations, as well as using the police officers who were on duty.

3. The university has supported and will continue to support student organizations in hosting events on campus that benefit members of the university and greater Richmond communities.

4. The university will continue to explore ways to ensure our campus events are safe and serve the best interest of students and the larger university community.

The university appreciates the proactive steps that many members of the university community (e.g. Alpha Phi Alpha, URPD) displayed during this past weekend's events. We are also encouraged by members of the community who have demonstrated compassion around the resolution of this complex issue. As a result, we hope the facts regarding this situation provide a better understanding of what occurred.

Finally, we understand that incomplete facts about violence in our community prompt a desire for fuller, more accurate information. Out of respect for the diversity and strength of our community, we all must resist the use of stereotypes and conjecture to fill in the gaps of our understanding.

Sincerely,

Dr. Steve Bisese, VP for Student Development

Chief Dave McCoy, Assoc. VP for Public Safety & Chief of Police

Dr. Glyn Hughes, Director, Common Ground

Alison B. Keller, Interim Director, Student Activities

Anthony Crenshaw, Asst. Director, Student Organizations & Leadership