Spiders fall, 69-67, to Colonials; last-second shot missed

University of Richmond guard Darien Brothers's three-point attempt from the corner rattled around the rim and bounced out with five seconds remaining, taking with it Richmond's chance at avoiding the regular-season sweep by George Washington University.

After holding a game-high seven-point lead with under four minutes remaining, the Colonials went on a 14-2 run during the next three and a half minutes to take the lead, 69-64. The run was highlighted by guard Lasan Kromah's three-pointer that tied the game at 62 with over two minutes left.

"That shot definitely hurt us, but our responsibility is to score too and we didn't score," Richmond coach Chris Mooney said. "The team needs to keep scoring in order to keep pressure on because I really think they're getting their energy from getting stops on defense."

Spider guard Cedrick Lindsay brought his team back to within two by making a three-pointer with 19 seconds remaining, and Richmond had a chance to win or send the game into overtime when GW's Tony Taylor missed the front end of a one-and-one free throw opportunity. Richmond center Darrius Garrett pulled down the rebound, his 11th of the game, and threw an outlet pass to Brothers, who was running free down the court.

Brothers was able to get an open look, but the ball bounced off the rim and gave the Colonials the victory, 69-67.

"I definitely thought it was good," Garrett said of Brothers's shot. "I was 100 percent sure it was going in."

The loss is Richmond's second of the season to GW, having fallen, 83-65, to the Colonials in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 18. The win snaps a five-game losing streak for GW, dating back to Jan. 21.

"I don't know if it's from the officiating or our team," Richmond forward Derrick Williams said. Williams had a game-high 21 points, one game after posting a career-high 22 in Wednesday's win over La Salle University. "When we get in a slump, we tend to blow our heads, and we can't come out of our shell, and we just stay in that slump."

The Spiders led, 28-27, at half time despite foul trouble limiting Williams to playing just four minutes in the first half. Freshman Wayne Sparrow took control offensively in Williams's absence, scoring seven points in 13 minutes.

Sparrow final two points came on a fast break dunk that brought the crowd to his feet, but he was forced to sit out the second half with an injury. Mooney said he believed Sparrow had suffered a broken hand.

"I think it was when he came back downcourt, he ran into one of their players," Mooney said. "It wasn't on the dunk, but the next play. He got caught on one of their players. It's just unfortunate for the timing because he'd been playing so well.

The only Spider other than Williams in double figures was Francis-Cedric Martel, who finished with 10 points, seven of which came during the first three minutes of the second half.

Richmond (13-13) travels next on Wednesday to Saint Louis, to take on the Billikens. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.

Game Notes: There were 16 lead changes and nine ties during the game... Forward David Pellom came off the bench to lead the Colonials in scoring with 16 points... Of Williams's 21 points, including a perfect 11 0f 11 on free throws.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu