A look at the Heilman Dining Center's chef-hiring process

When Jerry Clemmer, director of residential dining, hires chefs at the Heilman Dining Center, he looks for candidates with culinary degrees, a history with upscale restaurants and hotels, people skills and an interest in the University of Richmond.

"The chef from "Hell's Kitchen," Gordon Ramsay, would not do well here," Clemmer said, laughing.

Not all chefs can teach other people and be interested in the well being of the university beyond food, he said.

As director of residential dining, Clemmer said his job was to make sure the dining hall operated well in every aspect. Clemmer must be prepared for all events, and he must provide quality service and food, he said.

The credentials and past work experiences of the chefs at the Heilman Dining Center ensure that Clemmer is able to fulfill that responsibility.

David Bevan, production manager and chef, is in charge of breakfast and lunch at the dining hall. Bevan is originally from England and has worked in the culinary field for 30 years.

Starting out, Bevan wanted to be a butcher, but after attending Llandrillo College and Aston University in England, he earned a culinary degree in bakery and flour confectionery, he said.

Bevan then worked at the Wynnstay Hotel, the Grosvenor House Hotel and the Bobsleigh Inn before moving to the United States in 2002, he said.

After waiting six months for a work visa, Bevan started working at the dining hall, he said.

Bevan enjoys incorporating influences from the United Kingdom and Europe into the dining hall menu, he said. He plans the dining hall menu a year in advance. He said his favorite meal on the menu was the Philly cheese steak.

Clemmer said that he liked to hire chefs who had work history with upscale restaurants and hotels because they can bring that quality to the dining hall.

Clemmer said that Glenn Pruden, executive chef and assistant director at the dining hall, attended the Culinary Institute of America, which is considered the "Harvard" of culinary schools.

On March 1, the dining hall staff hosted a Titanic-themed dinner. Clemmer gave Maurice Black, relief manager and special events coordinator, credit for the success of the night. Black is also the back-up chef for Bevan.

Black began his culinary training through a three-year apprenticeship at Colonial Williamsburg, a museum that restores the colonial history of Williamsburg, Va. He worked at the Richmond Hyatt's restaurant, Hugo's, for five years, where he went from breakfast chef to back-up for the executive chef. Additionally, Black was the executive chef at the Richmond Sheraton for three years and the executive chef at the Richmond DoubleTree for five years.

"Because of experience, most of the situations I deal with, I have already dealt with before. I am able to learn from my mistakes and do my best," Black said.

Besides the extensive knowledge of the chefs, all dining hall employees are required to complete a ServSafe certification course every three years, Bevan said. The class ensures that all dining center employees are trained in temperature control, basic culinary techniques and food safety.

Culinary degrees teach the fundamentals, but a prospect's people skills and ability to train other employees and interact with students are important parts of being a chef at the Heilman Dining Hall, Clemmer said.

Contact reporter Madeline Small at madeline.small@richmond.edu