UR football player facing up to 10 years in hit-and-run case

Richmond football offensive lineman sophomore Jimmy Speros was arrested Wednesday afternoon on felony charges of a hit-and-run causing personal injury -- a class five felony -- according to Dionne Waugh of the Public Affairs Unit of the Richmond Police Department.

According to the Crime Incident Information Center of the Richmond Police Department, Speros was driving a 2011 Dodge pickup truck that collided with a 2003 Nissan SUV at the intersection of Patterson Avenue and Charles Street at approximately 9:09 Saturday night.

Speros's truck eventually came to a stop after crashing into a utility pole, and the driver of the SUV crashed his car into the brick wall of a parking lot nearby, Waugh said. The driver and passenger in the Nissan were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Before officers arrived on the scene, Speros had left on foot.

Despite reports that there were only two passengers in Speros's car, the Public Affairs Unit of the Richmond Police Department has confirmed that there were three passengers, including Speros. One of the passengers has been identified as Mark Speir, one of Speros's teammates. The other person's name has not been disclosed.

Two of the three passengers in the pickup truck were not injured. The third passenger initially refused treatment, but was later taken to the hospital by personal vehicle, Waugh said.

The Collegian contacted Danny Rocco, head coach of the Richmond football team, after the arrest. Rocco referred to the initial press release he had given, which said, "Any student-athlete charged with a felony crime will immediately be suspended from intercollegiate athletic participation and will thereafter be eligible only upon subsequent determination by the Director of Athletics."

According to Virginia law, if Speros, 20, is convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison.

Employees at CBS6 reported that Speros was later released on a $3,500 unsecured bond Wednesday, and he appeared in General District Court Thursday. He is scheduled to appear in court at 9:30 a.m. March 19 at Richmond-Traffic General District Court in the John Marshall Courts Building.

Speros started six games last year, including the last five of the year. For his career, he has appeared in a total of nine games at tackle and center.

Jimmy Speros is the son of Jim Speros, who was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins and the Buffalo Bills.

Attempts to contact Speros, Speir and University of Richmond President Ed Ayers for a statement have been unsuccessful.

Contact staff writer Nabila Khouri at nabila.khouri@richmond.edu