Junior Class Cabinet charity holds charity reception

Alumnus Keith Reynolds, RC '03, applauded Evan Harris, president of the Richmond Junior Class Cabinet, for having started a tradition where student leadership could connect with outside networks for a cause that benefited the Richmond community.

"Tonight is the kickoff," Reynolds said during his speech at the Richmond Junior Class Cabinet charity reception for Ginter Park Elementary School Thursday night at the Jepson Alumni Center.

Reynolds was an introvert -- confused and lost -- in his undergrad years, he said, but after working at BB&T and Business Network International, he realized he could make a difference.

"I want to connect with students who are doing what I wish I had done," Reynolds said.

As the growth specialist for the Synergy chapter of Business Network International, Reynolds wants to be an active alumnus and use his network to encourage people to use their voices and connections to promote causes, such as the cabinet's charity reception, he said.

Jack Wisnefske, a Richmond College Student Government Association senator, came to support the reception because he is a friend of Harris, and he has volunteered in Richmond Public Schools in the past, he said.

"People always talk about the disconnect between UR and the Richmond community," Wisnefske said. "Events such as these show that students are making a concerted effort."

Harris reached out to UR alumni in the Richmond community in an effort to decrease the gap. Dave Albo, a member of the Virginia House of Delegates from the 42nd district, attended the reception to support Harris, who is his intern. Albo graduated from Richmond's School of Law in 1988.

"Anyone who wants to do something nice for other people, I will support," Albo said.

Guests ate hors d'oeuvres, socialized and enjoyed music from a capella groups, including Sirens, Choeur du Roi and the duo of Jake Morrison and Maxwell Payeur, during the reception.

Indira Williams, principal of Ginter Park Elementary School, said she appreciated donations for the school's music program. She said connecting academics with instruments helped students in their academic areas, especially with math fractions.

Williams started as principal at Ginter Park last fall, she said. She has found being a principal in an inner-city school to be challenging, but she "eats the elephant, one bite at a time," she said.

Before the reception came to an end, Reynolds said, "We can all step it up." He emphasized that even if a person is a college student without much money to give, he or she can still use his or her voice, connections and student leadership to start making a difference.

Contact reporter Madeline Small at madeline.small@richmond.edu