McDonnell selected as commencement speaker

Gov. Bob McDonnell will deliver the main address at University of Richmond's Class of 2012 commencement ceremony on May 6.

McDonnell became the 71st governor of Virginia in January 2010, with 59 percent of the vote. He received the most votes for a candidate in state history, according to the governor's website.

The commencement ceremony will begin at 2 p.m. in the Robins Center. The facility seats 9,000 people, according to the university release.

McDonnell received his bachelor's of business administration degree from the University of Notre Dame in 1976, on a full Army ROTC scholarship, according to his website.

After graduation he went through basic training in Texas and was stationed in Grafenwohr, Germany as a platoon leader with the second Armored Division. While in Germany, McDonnell took night classes from Boston University to complete his masters of science in business administration, according to his website.

He also received his master's in public policy and judicial doctorate from Regent University while working as a sales manager for The Virginian-Pilot newspaper and serving in the active reserves of the Army in the 18th Field Hospital in Norfolk, according to the website.

In 1991, McDonnell began his career in politics as a representative of the 84th district in Virginia Beach in the Virginia House of Delegates, where he served as the assistant majority leader. He then was elected as Attorney General for three years before he became governor, according to his website.

This article will be updated.

Contact staff writer Erin Moyer at erin.moyer@richmond.edu