WCGA building pre-Pig Roast tradition with Bellis Fest

A mechanical bull, an inflatable bungee run, a henna station and a tarot card reader were just some of the activities offered at the Westhampton College Government Association's (WCGA) Bellis Fest on Friday.

Students came out to support WCGA and the 15 other organizations on campus with booths and displays. Bellis Fest drew a crowd of approximately 120 people at one time, Erin Maxell, the external affairs chair, said. Maxwell was in charge of organizing the event, which she said she had started planning in October.

"I knew that I wanted this year to be the best one yet," Maxwell said, "so I put a lot of effort into getting activities that I knew the student body would respond to."

Sororities such as Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi and Delta Delta Delta all had booths at the event, along with the Relay For Life, Women In Learning and Leadership (WILL) and the Muslim Student Association. Each organization had a different activity for students.

Pi Phi had a booth that allowed participants to select a member of its sorority to be "pied" in the face. The Muslim Student Alliance had a henna tattoo station, where its members painted the hands and feet of participants. Delta Gamma featured a game that helped inform participants of its philanthropy, Service for Sight, by teaching them about the visually impaired.

"Since I've been here, this has been the best turn-out by far," said Allie Gutshall, a junior and the vice president of WCGA.

Bellis Fest, a recent tradition, is always held on the Friday before Pig Roast, Gutshall said. Two times, the weather caused the event to be moved from its usual location of the Westhampton Green to the Millhiser Gymnasium, Gutshall said.

"The event is really made for an outdoor location because of the inflatable fun stations we try to get," she said, "so we've been very lucky to have such beautiful weather today."

The event also featured performances by a cappella groups Off The Cuff and the Sirens.

"I am really glad I made an effort to come out and enjoy the beautiful day," freshman Katie Kucera said. "I didn't know too much about it, but it was so much fun to see everyone so relaxed and happy."

Sophomore Kendel Ahnell clarified the origin of the name 'Bellis Fest.'

"Bellis is a flower, so it makes sense that they would call it that since the Westhampton College symbol is a daisy," she said, "I googled it."

"My hope for the next Bellis Fest is to get even more student organizations involved," Gutshall said. "I want all students to look forward to this tradition, just as they do Pig Roast."

Gutshall will be taking over as next year's external affairs coordinator of WCGA.

"I think it was an awesome event that showcased diversity and community on campus," sophomore Shiksha Mahtani said. "I'm definitely looking forward to next year and perhaps getting involved myself."

Contact staff writer Nabila Khouri at nabila.khouri@richmond.edu