At Richmond NASCAR, students tailgate but rarely stay for the race

Despite the severe thunderstorms last Saturday that delayed the start of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race, Richmond students continued the annual tradition of tailgating at the Richmond International Raceway.

Although it is unknown as to how long this tradition has been a part of the campus culture, every year students of all years gather in the fields surrounding the racetrack to enjoy the excitement of the crowd and the warm September weather. "The tailgating usually starts at 11 a.m., continues until 5 p.m. and brings people from all over the state who come to watch the race," Murphy Shannon said.

"I have been going to NASCAR for three years, but I've never actually stayed for a race," Shannon said. Shannon, a sophomore from New York, has been going to the tailgate even before enrolling at the University she said.

"I went for the first time as a senior in high school when I visited my cousin," she said. "I had so much fun and fell in love with the school that I applied early decision. I keep going back because it really fun to be in a relaxed environment off campus

hanging out with friends."

Taylor Pfeiffer, a sophomore, said she didn't know what to expect when she went for the first time last week. "It was definitely one of the best times I've had in Richmond so far," Pfeiffer said. "I think it's so popular because it's unlike anything else that students do on campus and it only happens once a year.

"It's also an excuse to wear camouflage print and patriotic clothing, which everyone enjoys," Pfeiffer said.

The exact number of Richmond students who went is unknown, but Pfeiffer estimates that hundreds of students were there.

Angela Brekke, a senior from Beijing, said her last NASCAR tailgate was the best since being in Richmond. "Since this is my senior year, I really wanted to embrace one of the last Richmond traditions," she said.

When asked if they knew when the NASCAR tailgate tradition started, the three students said they were not sure.

"It's been a tradition since before I was a freshman," Brekke said. "And I'm not entirely sure why people never attend the race, but that's always been the way it is."

"When I came to Richmond I found that the tradition was that most students never stay for the race," Shannon said.

There is no cover price for tailgating at the event, but tickets for the race are usually between $15 to $25, according to the Richmond International Raceway Web site.

Contact reporter Nabila Khouri at nabila.khouri@richmond.edu