Live Blog: Richmond at Virginia

4th Quarter, 0:00- Cavs let the clock run out. Final score: Richmond- 19, UVA- 43. Thanks for joining me.

4th Quarter, 0:35- Strauss leads his team down the field for a touchdown drive of his own, punched in from one yard out by freshman tailback Jacobi Green.

4th Quarter, 5:12- Strauss comes into the game at quarterback for the Spiders, replacing Laub.

4th Quarter, 5:23- Sims shows why he was so highly recruited coming out of high school, leading the Cavalier offense easily down the field for another UVA touchdown drive, finished off by a short run by tailback Khalek Shepherd. Lead is now 43-12.

4th Quarter, 12:07- Alabama transfer Philip Sims comes in for UVA at quarterback, replacing Rocco. Ball is at the UVA 13.

4th Quarter, 12:36- Another pass and catch from Laub to Edwards for a first down. Looks like that connection could be this year's version of Aaron Corp to Tre Gray.

4th Quarter, 13:16- Touchdown Hoos on a short end-around run by tailback Perry Jones pushes the lead to 36-12 and that will just about halt any thoughts the Spiders had of a 4th-quarter comeback.

4th Quarter, 14:50- Spiders stand strong on 3rd down, but UVA goes for it again on 4th-and-1, picking up the easy first down on the ground.

4th Quarter, 15:00- Refs correct their mistake, moving the ball back to the 17, where the Cavs face a 3rd-and-1.

3rd Quarter, 0:00- Poor job by the refs, allowing UVA an extra play after the clock had expired. This game heads into its final 15 minutes with The Cavs ahead, 29-12, and threatening to extend the lead further with a first and goal on the 8-yard line.

3rd Quarter, 2:34- Spider defense again responds to its offense's success, forcing a UVA punt. Edwards calls for the fair catch, and Richmond offense takes over at its own 9.

Scott has returned to the game.

3rd Quarter, 5:03- Touchdown Spiders! Lined up in a power formation, fullback Seth "Chest" Fisher broke out into the flat and was able to walk into the end zone after catching Laub's throw. The play was from four yards out. Spiders go for the two-point conversion, but the fade route to Barnette is broken up. Richmond cuts into UVA's lead, 29-12.

3rd Quarter, 5:45- Edwards looks to be emerging as Laub's go-to guy. He continually looks to the junior receiver when he gets in trouble.

3rd Quarter, 6:41- Three nice throws by Laub and a 21-yard run by Gaskins has the Spiders down to the UVA 15, threatening to score again.

3rd Quarter, 8:21- Playing bend-but-don't-break football, the Richmond defense breaks on 4th and goal from the 2-yard line, as Parks punches it in for his second score of the day. Cavaliers extend their lead to 29-6 following the XP. On another note, UR defensive end B.J. Scott went down a couple plays earlier, grabbing his hamstring. He was helped off the field.

3rd Quarter, 10:09- Pettus makes a poor attempt at a tackle, allowing a short reception to turn into a big gain. UVA has a first and goal at the 6-yard line.

3rd Quarter, 11:54- Huge stop by the Spider defense, holding the UVA tailback from picking up the first down on a 4th-and-1 attempt. Richmond takes over at its own 21.

3rd Quarter, 13:35- After a 59-yard kickoff return and intermediate pass completion, UVA is already into Richmond territory at the 30-yard line.

Halftime- Now let's talk about that Richmond TD drive towards the end of the half. I don't think we can underestimate the importance of this drive, not necessarily on this game, but on the season in general. The offense hadn't showed anything up to that point, but Laub showed some poise in the pocket, taking a couple hits while completing passes on two third-down conversions. Gaskins also showed why he's received all the pre-season hype, with a couple pounding runs and strong hands on that TD reception. Rocco told me he wanted to see his team respond competitively today, and I think that's what he wanted to see. We could be looking back on this drive later in the season saying that's when the team really started coming together and showing something.

Halftime- Let's look at what just happened during that first 30 minutes of the season. Down 22-6, Richmond isn't out of the game, but based on the first half, it would definitely be surprising to see any sort of a comeback. The deficit could easily be greater had it not been for a couple solid stands by the Richmond defense deep in its own territory.

Halftime- Quick correction: Gaskins was the one on the TD reception, not Edwards. Some stats for you real quick: Laub is 9-19 for 108 yards, Strauss is 1-1 for 3 yards and a TD, Rocco is 14-23 for 201 yards and a TD. UVA has outgained the Spiders, 92-7, on the ground and 293-104 overall.

2nd Quarter, 0:00- Confusing few plays by UVA offense, running the ball and calling a couple timeouts despite being deep in its own territory. Either way, the first half comes to a close with Virginia up big, 22-6. I'll have some half time analysis for you shortly.

2nd Quarter, 2:36- Spider defense responds to the increase in intensity coming from their offense, forcing their first three-and-out of the game. Edwards with a nice juke on the first defender to pick up some yards on the return, giving the UR offense the ball back at its own 36.

2nd Quarter, 2:55- Wow! What a way for the Spiders to get their first touchdown of the season. After a Finney reception and Gaskins run gets Richmond a first and goal, Laub loses his helmet, forcing him to sit the next play out, prompting backup Michael Strauss, UVA transfer, to enter the game. On a broken play in which he was almost sacked, Strauss throws the ball up for grabs, and it is nearly intercepted, but bounces into the hands of Edwards who falls into the end zone for the 6-yard score. Remington Hinshaw misses the extra point however, putting the score at UVA-22, UR-6.

2nd Quarter, 5:22- UR offense finally passes mid-field after a couple deep completions by Laub, one to Edwards and one to Reggie Barnette. Ball is on the UVA 35.

2nd Quarter, 6:51- UVA lead extended to 22-0 after UR defense holds strong near the goal line, forcing a chip shot FG.

2nd Quarter, 8:57- Unbelievable one-handed catch in tight coverage by fourth-string UVA tight end Jake McGee goes for 17 yards. They're telling us in the box that it's his first career reception. Play is reviewed and upheld. Ball on the UR 25.

2nd Quarter, 12:37- Things just getting worse by the minute for Richmond. Return man Pettus coughs up the ball at the UR 16 and UVA recovers for the game's first turnover. However, refs review the play and decide he was down before the ball came loose. Big break for the Spiders.

2nd Quarter, 12:48- UVA drive stalls after a couple incompletions, but kicker Drew Jarrett nails his first collegiate FG attempt right through the uprights from 45 yards out, pushing the Hoos lead to 19-0.

2nd Quarter, 13:51- Another long completion has the Cavs back in Richmond territory. 2nd and 5 at the 28.

1st Quarter, 0:00- Cavs let the clock tick down to end the first quarter. UVA-16, UR-0.

1st Quarter, 2:12- Spider defense forces UVA's first punt of the game, and UR takes over at its own 10-yard line following a Ben Edwards fair catch.

1st Quarter, 3:32- Cavs driving again, just passed midfield. On a side note, looks like UR linebacker Darius McMillan is playing some despite an injury Rocco said might keep him out.

Someone asked me what kind of food we get in the press box. Check it out here.

1st Quarter, 6:09- Another miscue on the snap kills the Spiders drive, losing 13 yards on second down. Hicks with a nice punt though backs the Cavaliers up to their own 16, where they'll begin their next drive.

1st Quarter, 7:53- Spider offense picks up its first first down of the season on a pass from Laub to tight end Kevin Finney. Ball is out to the UR 44.

1st Quarter, 8:33- UVA wideout Darius Jennings turns a quick out pass from QB Michael Rocco into a 51-yard Cavalier TD, making a couple UR defensive backs looking bad along the way. UVA lead extended to 16-0 following the XP.

1st Quarter, 8:47- Hicks takes the free kick for the Spiders on a punt. Cavs return man tripped up at the UVA 49.

1st Quarter, 8:51- Laub not finding anyone open. Spiders forced to punt the ball away again without a first down. Snap back to the punter goes way over his head, and Nick Hicks just boots the ball out of the back of the UR end zone for a safety. Cavs lead extended, 9-0.

1st Quarter, 9:35- Cavaliers kickoff goes through the end zone again. Spiders take over at their own 20.

1st Quarter, 9:35- Touchdown Hoos. UVA tailback Kevin Parks takes it in from one yard out, and the Spiders are in a quick hole, 7-0.

1st Quarter, 10:57- UVA threatening after a couple more first downs. They have a first and goal from the 6-yard line.

Check out the view from the pressbox

1st Quarter, 13:32- First big play of the game goes for 17 yards for UVA on a deep pass. The receiver was wide open. Ball is at the 28.

1st Quarter, 14:22- Not a good start for Richmond and new starting quarterback John Laub, as they go backwards and are forced to punt without a first down. Cavs take over on Richmond's 48.

1st Quarter, 15:00- The ball goes out the back of the end zone, and the Spider offense will begin its first drive of 2012 from its own 20.

1st Quarter, 15:00- Looks like the Spiders are set to receive first. Wayne Pettus is back deep.

Pregame- Lots of storylines for this one. Check out my full GAME PREVIEW for all that and more.

Pregame- Welcome back for another year of Spider football Collegian coverage. Just a quick note: I'll be answering any questions you may have during the game, so just type it into the comments section below, and I'll do my best to answer. Let's get 2012 football underway.