Stress drives students to caffeine overdrive

I did something this semester that I thought I would never do. I became dependent on caffeine.

I realized this today, as I downed an energy shot before a class because I knew the professor enjoyed making fun of drowsy students. It was my third pre-class shot this week.

As the homework and labs started piling up two weeks ago, I joined the legion of students who regularly stay up until 4 a.m. -- and it is not a group I am thrilled to be part of.

The negative effects of caffeine on one's health are well-documented. Stomach ulcers, anxiety and sleep disorders are only a few of the long-term drawbacks.

In the short-term, I've felt jittery and sweaty after consuming more than my limit. When your heart beats that fast, it's scary.

Despite its intended purpose, I never feel any more focused in a caffeinated, sleep-deprived state. The essays I write are nonsensical, the answers to my math problems are illogical.

The twitchy high of a caffeine buzz will never compare to the feeling of waking up rested and energized.

Lately, I've been trying the strategy of going to bed earlier and waking earlier to finish my work. While this has caused a missed class or two, when it works, I feel like an academic champion.

I've come to know an increasing number of people who need that morning cup of coffee. Those who consume energy drinks as if they were soda: by the six-pack. That need is an addiction, just like with any other drug.

And even though caffeine alone might be manageable, I've seen the stress of college drive my peers to excessive drinking, smoking and drug use. I would need three hands to count the number of acquaintances and friends who've told me that they'd never smoked or "blacked out" from drinking before college.

Part of it is probably because of the newfound freedom of the college experience, but I'm sure you've had to walk through the haze of cigarette smoke in front of the library. There must be another trigger.

When college comes to an end, our bodies unfortunately do not revert to their sober, pre-college selves. Students who develop dependencies in college can carry these with them for the rest of their lives. Eventually, one's aging body will become unable to manage the burden.

Americans drink more than 330 million cups of coffee a day, according to a CBS News report. There's a reason that Starbucks has become the ubiquitous, worldwide chain it is today.

The average Red Bull costs almost $3 a shot, and coffee at Starbucks goes for around $2 a cup. If you drink three cups a day, you'll end up spending nearly $2,000 a year on your caffeine.

The longer you wait, the harder it becomes to kick the expensive, unhealthy addiction. If you need help, get it. If you're feeling pushed to the edge and sleepy, it's okay to give yourself a break.

Take a walk around the lake or a shower to refresh yourself.

Remember, you'll need your health later.