Rapid Recap: Richmond 21, William & Mary 14

Final Score: University of Richmond- 21, College of William & Mary- 14

What Happened: For the second straight game, Richmond's defense bailed out a mistake by the Spiders' young quarterback, as the unit held strong late in the fourth quarter with William & Mary in the red-zone threatening to tie the game. Richmond was firmly in control for most of the game, ahead 21-7 heading into the fourth quarter. But a Michael Strauss interception led to a Tribe touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Michael Graham to tight end Bo Revell. Strauss performed well in the first half, throwing for 159 yards and a touchdown. Fullback Kendall Gaskins scored two touchdown in the first half, one rushing and one receiving. The other score came on a mishandled snap by William & Mary punter Drake Kuhn in the end zone, recovered by Richmond's DeShawn Holmes. UR receiver Ben Edwards was a focal point of the gameplan all game, making 13 receptions, mostly on short screen throws.

Spider Positives: Richmond did what it needed to, getting the win and moving to 8-3. Regardless of if UR makes the playoffs or not, this was an amazing turnaround of a season, headed by new coach Danny Rocco. All three units played well in the first half, and the defense was borderline dominant in the second half.

Spider Negatives: The offense again struggled to put the game away when it had the opportunity in the second half, and Strauss proved again that his decision-making ability late in games needs improvement. The kicking game was good on extra points, but Remington Hinshaw missed two opportunities for field goals that would've put the game further out of reach.

Up Next: Richmond will await its fate to see if it gets a FCS playoff bid.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu