The Collegian
Saturday, July 04, 2020

Spiders come back twice, defeat Tribe, 86-78, in double OT

In the 198th meeting between the Richmond and William & Mary men's basketball programs, 40 minutes wasn't long enough to determine a winner, and neither was 45.

The Spiders were able to come out on top, 86-78, over their in-state rivals in double overtime, thanks to last-minute comebacks at the end of regulation and the first overtime period.

"It's hard to ask much more of a group of kids than we gave today," Tribe coach Tony Shaver said. "Heartbreaking to lose."

William & Mary was ahead, 64-61, with possession and just 49 seconds remaining during regulation, but Tribe guard Matt Rum turned the ball over trying to get past half court, throwing a pass backwards to teammate Kyle Gaillard, who ducked away from the throw.

Richmond made the most of the mistake, as junior guard Cedrick Lindsay connected on an open three-point jumper to tie the game.

"Growing up, everybody wants that shot," Lindsay said. "We just ran our offense, and I just happened to make that shot."

Lindsay was one of five Spiders to finish in double figures, finishing with 12 points to go along with his 6 assists. He missed Richmond's previous two games recovering from a concussion. One of those games was a road loss to Ohio University, when only three UR players scored any points.

"Maybe [Lindsay's] best game he's played at Richmond," UR coach Chris Mooney said. "He did a little bit of everything. He runs us. He calms us down."

During the first overtime period, William & Mary jumped out to a quick five-point lead, but Richmond senior guard Darien Brothers sank his fourth three-pointer of the game to cut it to two. Brothers led Richmond scorers, finishing with 20 points.

Still, the Tribe held onto the lead and were again ahead by three points, 71-68, with less than a minute remaining. But another Spider guard, sophomore Kendall Anthony, tied the game with a driving layup plus a foul, making his free throw.

"I'm really proud that we battled," Mooney said. "Nothing came easy. When you get down in overtime, it just seems like it's always a hard one to overcome, and we did."

The Spiders didn't need a comeback during the second overtime period. They jumped out to an early lead and quickly extended it, leading by as many as nine after neither team had led by more than seven the rest of the game.

Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter

"We all stuck with it," Lindsay said. "Nobody quit."

Richmond struggled all game in the paint, getting outscored, 42-28, in that category.

"I think we just got a little lazy," Brothers said. "We just need to fight more. That will come with time."

The Spiders made up the deficit in that category with three-pointers (11 of 25) and free throws (19 of 21). Anthony, finishing with 15 points, was 9 of 9 from the free throw line.

On Saturday, Richmond (5-2) will look to continue its perfect home season in the Robins Center against ACC-foe Wake Forest University. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m.

Game Notes: UR forward Derrick Williams had his second double-double of the season (17 points, 11 rebounds)... Gaillard made all seven of his shot attempts, six of which came in the first half... UR freshman Terry Allen made his first career three-pointer early in the second half.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at

Support independent student media

You can make a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below, which takes you to our secure PayPal account. The page is set up to receive contributions in whatever amount you designate. We look forward to using the money we raise to further our mission of providing honest and accurate information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the general public.

Donate Now