Spiders shut out Rams, 39-0, on Homecoming

Shutting out its opponent for the first time since 2009, Richmond's defense answered the challenge of coach Danny Rocco on Homecoming.

"I'm very honest in speaking with my student athletes," Rocco said. "We have three losses this season and in the three losses, we gave up 43, 44 and 45 points, and you can't do that."

Winless on the season, Rhode Island wasn't expected to win this game, but this is the first time it failed to score any points. The Rams were forced to start their backup quarterback Danny Fenyak because of an injury to starter Bob Bentsen, and the Spiders took advantage. Fenyak was hurried eight times, leading to five interceptions by five different defenders.

Richmond linebacker Aaron Roane, who had one of the interceptions, said the defense prided itself on its ability to take the ball away. The Spiders have amassed 19 total interceptions this season.

"We talk an awful lot about being ball aware," Rocco said. "I think tonight the biggest thing was really the pressure we applied to their quarterback. He was under duress an awful lot, throwing off his back foot."

Offensively, the Spiders started a slowly, failing to score in the first quarter before taking scoring twice in the second quarter to take a 13-0 halftime lead into the locker room.

Rocco said the bye week may have attributed to the slow start.

"Defensively, I think it's a little easier to have some time away and then come back and execute at a high level," he said. "Offensively, there's a little more into that, a little more timing involved, and we just didn't quite have the focus or execution we've been accustomed to."

The third quarter was a different story for the Richmond offense, scoring 17 points, while also being aided by a 24-yard interception for a touchdown by sophomore defensive lineman Justin Williamson.

The scoring started in the third quarter on a three-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Michael Strauss to third-string tight end Hunter Westfall. The two were roommates last spring, after Strauss transferred from University of Virginia. The touchdown was sophomore Westfall's first of his career.

"I didn't know during the play, but after I realized he hadn't ever had one before," Strauss said. "That was nice I could do that, and he made a good play on the ball too."

The start was Strauss's second of his collegiate career after taking over for the injured John Laub. After throwing four touchdowns in the win over James Madison University in his first start, Strauss was again impressive, finishing with 199 yards passing and two touchdowns before being replaced toward the end of the third quarter by Montel White.

"I kind of know how it is now after starting a game," Strauss said. "It was definitely easier."

The only problem for Richmond in this game came from its kicking game. After Remington Hinshaw missed three extra points in the win over JMU, Rocco opened the kicking job up for competition, Rocco said.

"We decided to let Wil Kamin handle the extra points and [Remington Hinshaw] handle the field goals," he said.

Hinshaw missed a 33-yard field goal in the first quarter, and Kamin missed two extra points before Rocco elected to give Hinshaw another shot as extra point kicker. Hinshaw rewarded his coach's decision by making his two extra point opportunities in the second half as well as two field goals. His second field goal was from 39 yards and put the Spiders ahead, 39-0, which was the final score.

Rocco said that he was leaning strongly to fully reinstating Hinshaw to take all extra points at the end of the game.

Next Saturday, the Spiders (6-3, 4-2) are at home again, where they'll to take on another Delaware University in a CAA game that is set to kickoff at 3:30 p.m.

Game Notes: Doug Howell's interception in the third quarter was his CAA-leading fifth of the season... UR receiver Stephen Barnette led the game with 98 receiving yards on four catches... Spiders fullback Kendall Gaskins rushed for 92 yards and two touchdowns, giving him 12 this season.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu