Brothers leads the way in Spiders win over Charlotte

Senior Darien Brothers led the Spiders in scoring to a victory against Charlotte and tied a school record of eight three-pointers on Saturday evening.

Brothers made a comeback and improved his shooting averages from the previous two games. He started the game providing the first 17 points for the Spiders and finished the game with 39 points, a career high.

"I had confidence in myself and my teammates, and I just found the shots," Brothers said.

Freshman Deion Taylor started for the first time in his collegiate career. He replaced sophomore Kendall Anthony in a change in the starting line-up. Taylor said starting had felt different from coming off the bench.

"Usually when you come off the bench you get to see what's going on in the game and see how you can go in and make a difference," Taylor said. "But starting off the game you have to see for yourself while you're out there."

Taylor finished second on the team in scoring with 13 points, a career high.

Though the Spiders were coming off a two-game losing streak, the team was able to get a convincing 81-61 win against the Charlotte 49ers, a team that had come into the game with a better overall record (15-2) and had been undefeated in the A10 tournament (3-0).

Early in the game, the Spiders led but had trouble with fouls in the first half, which helped Charlotte keep the score close. The Spiders went into halftime with a 38-28 lead. They were able to reach their largest lead of 24 points later in the second half.

Coach Chris Mooney said the Spiders were looking forward to taking on their rival team, the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams, in their next game on Thursday, Jan. 24, in the Robins Center. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Contact staff writer Rebecca Wilson at rebecca.wilson@richmond.edu