CAB to expand on event calendar for coming spring

Thanks to members of Richmond's Campus Activities Board (CAB), the coming months will be filled with a variety of free, campus-wide shows and activities, including a spring concert, guest speaker and possibly a comedian.

The Board is in the process of planning its best semester yet and has recently changed leadership, said senior Jake Feiler, last year's CAB president. CAB has recently combined with the Unifying Events Committee on campus and has more than 60 members organizing and planning activities, Feiler said. In addition to their role with CAB, committee members represent a variety of other student organizations on campus, including Westhampton College Government Association, Richmond College Student Government Association, Cultural Advisers, Diversity Round Table, Richmond Rowdies and Richmond Residence Life.

"In this way, we gather input from committee members and their friends so that we can represent the university as best as we can," Feiler said. "We have the ultimate goal of making our campus community more unified and providing a more diverse array of programming."

Although committee members are still in the process of organizing this semester's calendar, they have already scheduled a variety of activities and shows through March and April. On March 20, CAB will host an Open Mic Night for students, said sophomore Neal Peterson, current CAB co-president. The winner of the competition will open for Aer, the spring concert band, he said.

According to the band's Facebook page, Aer finds its roots in reggae, acoustic pop and indie rock, with smooth guitar riffs and a strong rap component. Members David von Mering and Carter Schultz have been touring across North America since last summer and have performed with musicians Action Bronson, A$AP Rocky and Iggy Azalea.

The free concert will take place at Jenkins Greek Theater on the last day of classes, Peterson said.

CAB's Arts and Lecture Committee, in association with Common Ground, the Rhetoric and Communications Department and the Student Alliance for Sexual Diversity, will then host guest speaker Zach Wahls in Ukrop Auditorium on March 27. Wahls is known for making a speech in front of the Iowa House Judiciary Committee opposing a hearing that would propose an amendment to ban gay marriage, Feiler said. The speech has been featured on "The Late Show with David Letterman," "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."

In addition to campus concerts and speakers, CAB members will also provide mini golf on the University Forum on April 4, free transportation to Busch Gardens on April 13 and an outdoor movie night on April 16. The movie, still to be determined by the Special Events Committee, will be shown on the Westhampton Green, Feiler said. "Movie on the Green" is an opportunity for students to relax outside and enjoy the weather, he said.

Although CAB members have planned many activities for students throughout the semester, members are still in the process of booking a comedian, said sophomore Chloe Zung, current CAB co-president. The board members have already begun discussing the approaching fall semester, as well, and plan to book a concert, comedian and a variety of guest speakers, Zung said.

CAB continues to accept new members to committees and to represent the university's programming needs, Feiler said. Students can get involved with the organization by visiting its website or by emailing co-presidents Chloe Zung and Neal Peterson. For more information about this semester's activities, visit the CAB website (studentorg.richmond.edu/cab/music.html).

Contact reporter Gaby Calabrese at gaby.calabrese@richmond.edu