Spiders survive Bonnies, 83-80, in overtime game

Richmond survived a late run and was able to outlast the St. Bonaventure Bonnies, 83-80, in an overtime thriller, Saturday night at the Robins Center.

Darien Brothers stepped to the free throw line with just over 24 seconds left in the overtime period, and made three straight to give the Spiders a two-point lead. On the next Bonnie possession, Terry Allen dove on the floor to come up with a steal to clinch the victory.

"There's a running joke on the team that we all call [Allen] the 'Man of Steal,' so we weren't surprised when he made that play," senior forward Greg Robbins said.

Allen, a freshman, scored eight points and grabbed eight rebounds in 33 minutes of play. After the game, Coach Chris Mooney praised Allen's performance, calling it one of his best games this year.

Junior Cedrick Lindsay and Robbins led the team offensively, scoring 22 and 20 points, respectfully, and sophomore Kendall Anthony added 10 points off the bench.

The Spiders held a 13-point lead with a little more than 13 minutes left to play in the second half, before the Bonnies mounted a comeback. There were 13 lead changes in the game, which went back-and-forth late in regulation.

Free throws were key for Richmond, as they made 25 in the entire game, and went 11-11 in the last three minutes of the second half and overtime. Fourteen of Lindsay's 22 points came from the free throw line, as he shot 14-14 in the game.

"A couple of calls went our way tonight, and we were just able to knock our free throws down, late in the game," Lindsay said.

There were plenty of calls to go around, as the two teams combined for 54 personal fouls and three technical fouls. The Bonnies shot a better percentage, 78.3 compared to 71.4 percent, but the Spiders made 25 of 35 compared to 18-23 by St. Bonaventure.

The win ends a two-game losing streak for the Spiders, who head to New York next Saturday to face Fordham.

Contact reporter JR Riddick at jr.riddick@richmond.edu