Weinstein Center receives award for wellness

Sports Backers, a nonprofit organization, presented the University of Richmond with the "Active RVA" certification on Feb. 12, applauding the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness for its comprehensive and free programs for students, faculty and staff, said Assistant Vice President for Recreation and Wellness Tom Roberts.

Roberts was not surprised that Richmond received the award because its wellness program is above the curve and especially strong for a small university, he said.

Vice President for Student Development Steve Bisese said he believed the most impressive thing was that Richmond had been able to build a full and free fitness program. He has visited other schools, including Georgetown, where the faculty and staff must pay for the facilities, but Richmond decided early on not to charge its faculty, staff or students for membership.

When a new employee or staff member joins Richmond, he or she becomes part of the Working on Wellness (WOW) program and is contacted by a trainer to arrange three free wellness sessions, Roberts said. At the first session, the staff member's goals and targets are assessed and trainers introduce him or her to the equipment and other useful resources.

"Recently one of our employees contacted us about how he lost 110 pounds thanks to the WOW program," Roberts said. "It really kick starts you and gets you into a new lifestyle."

There is a real correlation between employees' happiness and their productivity, Roberts said. "Our employees tell us all the time how much they appreciate the programs, classes, wellness options and gym facilities," he said. "It's probably why we have such a high retention rate."

When faculty, staff and students work out at the gym, they are there to have fun, casual interactions in a stress-free environment, Bisese said.

"I think the Weinstein Center does a great job of providing wellness options for students without any charge," senior Erin Lane said. "I have friends at other universities that are discouraged from working out because they have to pay a steep fee to use a treadmill."

Bisese said the gym was used heavily during the day and night and that there were options for everyone. There is not an emphasis on only competitive or personal fitness, but there are also intramural sports, club sports and classes available, he said.

When Roberts began working at the gym 25 years ago, the school had allocated time for only faculty and staff to work out without student access.

"Nobody would agree with that now," Roberts said. "The recreation center really breaks down the barriers of identification where faculty and staff and students can play together, work side-by-side and be at the same level."

The success is always dictated by the demand from students, making the staff aware of what they want, Roberts said. They always want feedback, putting students first.

Contact reporter Katie Davidson at katie.davidson@richmond.edu