Career Services a resource for those considering graduate school

As the school year comes to a close, members of Richmond's senior class are preparing for life beyond college, whether that means starting a career, traveling, returning home or pursuing higher education.

Although graduate school is common among Richmond students, the majority of graduates tend to enter the workforce before pursuing an additional degree: approximately 14% of the class of 2012 went straight to graduate school, said Anna Todaro, an assistant director at Career Services.

The majority of Richmond students who attend graduate school primarily come from the School of Arts and Sciences and the Jepson School of Leadership Studies, Todaro said. The immediate transition from college to graduate school is especially uncommon among business students, because they are encouraged to gain a few years of work experience before pursuing an MBA, she said.

The choice to attend graduate school is different for each student, and ultimately depends on what he or she is interested in pursuing, Todaro said. Although certain fields of study require higher education, such as medicine or law, there is not a specific major or minor that requires a graduate degree, she said.

At Career Services, advisers aim to learn more about students' interests and career goals to assist them with researching potential graduate programs, Todaro said.

Senior Alex Carrier worked with Career Services throughout the year to finalize graduate school plans, she said. Carrier decided to attend graduate school last summer after realizing she wanted to pursue a career in secondary education. In order to work in advising or counseling on a college campus, most universities require a Master's of Education in higher education or student affairs, Carrier said.

As Carrier attends a graduate program at the University of Connecticut next fall, the majority of her friends will be entering the workforce throughout the country, she said.

"I think that most people are pursuing jobs after graduation for a few years with the intent of going to graduate school down the line," Carrier said.

"Some people assume that their employer might help pay for a master's degree at some point." Carrier said.

Given today's tough economic climate, Todaro has observed that many students hold off on graduate school in order to spend time saving money and gaining professional experience, she said.

"With graduate school being such a large financial and time commitment, many students will take a year or two off to continue reflecting on their interests and deciding what program, if any, would be a relevant step for their career," Todaro said.

For students interested in attending graduate school, Career Services is available to assist in every step of the way, Todaro said. Advisers work with students to provide information about entrance exams and help with the search process, she said.

After students have been accepted into programs, Career Services will continue to serve as a resource; on Tuesday, April 9, Todaro and Leslie Stevenson, director of Career Services, hosted a workshop for future graduate students: "You're Going to Grad School: Now What?"

"At the end of the process, we're also here to provide advice as students decide on a program and ensure that they're prepared for the experience," Todaro said.

For more information about education beyond Richmond, visit the Career Services website, careerservices.richmond.edu.

Contact reporter Gaby Calabrese at gaby.calabrese@richmond.edu