Five more cases of the mumps at UR, one at VCU

The mumps count has climbed to 20 confirmed cases at Richmond, and the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is investigating suspected cases that have popped up outside of campus, said Dr. Lynne Deane, director of the Student Health Center.

Since Jan. 21, there have been 51 students tested for mumps, but only 20 have been confirmed so far. Since most of the tests were administered after spring break, there are still 31 students waiting for test results who could potentially had the virus, Deane said.

Three students at Virginia Commonwealth University are also waiting for test results, and the health center there confirmed one case as of Wednesday, said Dr. Margaret Roberson, the medical director for University Student Health Services. VCU's health center website has provided preventative information about how to avoid spreading the virus, and a link to the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) page for more information.

The VDH is in the process of investigating potential connections of cases throughout the state. "At this time, the majority of cases identified are connected to the University of Richmond," Dr. Parham Jaberi, director of the Chesterfield Health District, said in an email.

At Richmond, students with the illness have been isolated in the North Court Blue Room or in their off-campus residences for five days after the onset of symptoms. The Phi Gamma Delta lodge has also served as an isolation area for at least one student, Deane said.

To curb the spreading of the virus, the VDH is currently considering providing a third booster dose of the vaccination. "This is not a routine clinical measure, but may be applied in an outbreak setting," Jaberi said. "VDH is in contact with the Centers for Disease Control and will work with UR officials to release further information when available."

The VDH recommends that those who are ill self-isolate for five days after the onset of symptoms and contact the Student Health Center. It advises all students to refrain from sharing personal items, cups and utensils, and to wash their hands frequently.

Deane said she hoped to see students take up these preventative measures this weekend during the Pig Roast festivities. "They're the same preventative measures we suggested last weekend and the weekend before that," she said. "Hopefully everyone will be healthy."

Contact reporter Clay Helms at clay.helms@richmond.edu