Students walk the runway in Theta's fourth annual KATwalk

More than 500 University of Richmond students packed the Alice Haynes Room Tuesday night to support Kappa Alpha Theta sorority's philanthropic fashion show.

Theta raised $3,000 for its national philanthropy, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) with the help of students, donations and raffle prizes donated from businesses in the Richmond area, said philanthropy chairwoman Victoria Kinnealey.

In between the fashion show and the walk-off, Jeannine Panzera, the volunteer coordinator for the Henrico County branch of CASA and recent Richmond Law graduate, addressed the audience about what CASA does and how KATwalk was benefitting the organization.

Members from each sorority modeled clothing loaned by local stores and boutiques including Monkees, Pink, Bliss and Rumors.

Senior Jonathan Benjamin, student designer and former point guard for the Spider basketball team, also showcased his own clothing line, Official Visit ActiveWear (OVAW).

The "walk-off" part of the event featured two members from each sorority, fraternity and a few other student organizations walking the runway and representing their group with their outfits, song choice and often, a choreographed move.

The walk-off was judged by three professors: Robert Hodierne from the journalism department, Timothy Barney from the rhetoric and communications department and Meghan Rosatelli from the School of Continuing Studies.

The National CASA Association is a network of 946 programs that are recruiting, training and supporting volunteers to represent the best interests of abused and neglected children in the courtroom and other settings, according to its website.

Most of the money that the event raised came from selling tickets throughout the week and at the door of the event, but money was also raised through raffle tickets with prizes donated by Azzuro, Village Dry Cleaner, Martin's and many ther local businesses, said Allie Deering, a junior member of Theta.

Benjamin and the models from his clothing line won the walk-off competition by impressing the judges with their dance moves.

"It was great to see everyone come out and show their support," said Emily Smith, co-emcee and Theta member. "Jonathan Benjamin really won the crowd over and stole the show."

Contact reporter Olivia Simons at olivia.simons@richmond.edu