Title IX training required of all sorority members

University of Richmond is taking measures to increase the awareness of sexual abuse by requiring sorority members to participate in Title IX training.

All freshmen, sophomore and junior sorority members are required to attend Title IX training, the first session of which occurred Sunday, said Kerry Fankhauser, Westhampton College associate dean and Title IX coordinator.

Two more sessions will be offered Sunday, April 21, between 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., according to the Richmond OrgSync website.

Mary Rossiter, junior member of Pi Beta Phi sorority, said the training gave her a different perspective on abuse. "The tips on how to help a friend in need opened my eyes to the seriousness of the situation," she said.

During the Title IX training, speakers focused on compliance to Title IX and the university's sexual misconduct policy, Fankhauser said.

They also focused on responding to survivors, talking with accused students and understanding reactions to sexual violence and national and university statistics, Fankhauser said.

Richmond College dean Joe Boehman concluded the training by talking about branding, or how it is an individual's responsibility to convey a group's mission.

"Dean Boehman made the topic relatable and interesting to the students," said Jackie Kelliher, a junior member of Pi Phi. "It really allowed me to think about the fact that each student at Richmond has a different identity."

Title IX states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance," according to the University of Richmond website.

Contact reporter Olivia Simons at olivia.simons@richmond.edu