Zipcar program expands with addition of third vehicle

Meet Beavis, the new Ford Focus that joined the University of Richmond's ZipCar program.

The Zipcar program at University of Richmond has recently expanded with the addition of a red Ford Focus, dubbed "Beavis," which now joins two other cars brought to campus with the start of the program during the fall 2011 semester.

Over the summer, a representative for the Zipcar company contacted Natalia Green, director for parking services, about the possibility of adding another vehicle to reflect an increase in the number of reservations, Green said.

There are currently 385 members of the program at Richmond, including faculty, students and staff, she said.

Although Green hoped the new car would be of a slightly bigger model, the hatchback-style sedan stayed within the goal of remaining environmentally friendly, she said.

The three cars are stationed next to Westhampton Lake, which might make it obvious for prospective students and their families that bringing a car to campus is not a necessity, Green said.

Before to the addition of the new car, there were occasions when the Zipcar vehicles were not easily accessable without booking far in advance, freshman Alex Beman said.

"It's been useful when they are available," he said. "You just jump in and drive."

The third car has noticeably improved availability, Beman said.

"They are affordable and it makes more sense then buying a car and having to pay for gas," he added.

Ford, which partners with Zipcar, compensates $1 of the hourly fee for drivers who book a Ford vehicle, Green said. The hourly rate is $8.50 for the Honda Insight Hybrid and $7.50 for either of the Ford Focus models.

Freshman Diana Muggeridge first used one of the university-owned Zipcars last semester to make a trip to the University of Virginia. She found the mode of transportation convenient and has since made two smaller trips this semester with the Zipcars, she said.

On one occasion, Muggeridge was forced to rearrange her schedule after discovering that no cars were available at the time she needed one, she said. A third car would expand the convenience of the program, Muggeridge said.

The Zipcar program has also given Muggeridge greater freedom and a sense of independence, she said.

"I would probably have to rely on my friends more," Muggeridge said. "With the Zipcar, it just makes things easier."

Contact reporter Mara Lugo at mara.lugorudner@richmond.edu