Barry's field hockey goal nominated for ESPYS Best Play award

Rising junior field hockey player Rebecca Barry has been nominated for ESPYS Best Play of the Year for her goal scored against Temple this past season.

Barry bounced the ball up about four times off her stick before hitting it up over the Owls goalie and striking the ball mid-air into the back of the goal at Crenshaw Field.

"It is definitely the most exciting goal I have scored primarily because of all that has happened since," Barry wrote in an email from her hometown of Limerick, Ireland.

"I consider myself extremely lucky to be supported by a squad of fantastic, hard-working girls on the Spider hockey team [...] Something like this doesn't just happen without the support and commitment of all of these people."

Barry's goal, seeded 15th in the 16-play field is up against a 55-foot buzzer-beating shot during a New York high school basketball state final. Voting is now open, and the field will be cut to eight on July 8.

Assistant Director of Public Relations Mark Kwolek, who has been with Richmond for eight years, said he believes this is the first ESPY nomination the university has ever had.

The award is short for Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly, and the ceremonies have been aired on ESPN since 1993.

"It's absolutely incredible," Barry wrote, of receiving the nomination. "I can't really believe it, and I don't know if it will ever sink in.

"I must admit, I only found out what the ESPYs were recently. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I never knew they existed. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic honor for me and my teammates."

Barry's goal was previously featured on Sportscenter's Top 10 plays, and Barry wrote the she received similar support then that she has since her ESPY nomination was announced early Thursday.

"My phone has been blowing up," she wrote. "People have been sharing it on Twitter and Facebook non-stop. I am so grateful for this and am encouraging everyone who reads this to please click onto the ESPY website and vote for the play."

You can vote for the play HERE.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu