SpiderBoard and students to host Trick or Treat Street for local families

false

University of Richmond SpiderBoard is sponsoring the 15th annual Trick or Treat Street, or TOTS, from 12:30-4:30 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 27 at the Westhampton Green.

The festivities, organized and co-sponsored by many student organizations, will welcome families from the local Richmond community to celebrate Halloween, said senior Franny Edmundson, vice president for Panhellenic Council programming and co-head of the event. The goal is to create a safe and fun environment for children, as well as foster a relationship with the community outside of the university, said Georgina Pons Cano, a member of the PR committee for TOTS.

Aimed at children 10 years old and younger, the afternoon's activities will include magic shows, games, pumpkin decorating, face painting, costume contests, moon bounces and a straw maze, as well as food and music, Pons Cano said. Children will also be able to "trick or treat" for candy throughout the event.

"This year, we are thrilled to have 20 campus organizations participating in TOTS," Edmundson said, "as well as all 16 Greek organizations on campus." Some of the student organizations include business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi, BARK, Camp Kesem and both student governments, she said.

Students from these organizations will be manning activity stations throughout the event, such as Everybody's Fan Club and the Photography Club's head-in-hole photo booth, Edmundson said.

There will also be the second annual pet costume contest hosted by Lite 98.1, a Richmond area radio station. Kat Simons, Lite98's midday DJ, will be joined by a panel of judges to award prizes to the best costumes in multiple categories for both pets and children. The children's costume contest will be at 2 p.m. and the pet costume contest will be held at 3 p.m., according to Lite98's website.

"TOTS is open to the entire community," Edmundson said, "and we encourage students to dress up and attend regardless of whether or not they belong to an organization participating in the event." There is no admission cost to TOTS, but instead, guests are encouraged to bring nonperishable foods to donate to FeedMore, Richmond's local food bank, she said.

Contact reporter Mia Webber at mia.webber@richmond.edu