Weinstein Center to host November Fitness Frenzy

The Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness will be hosting a fitness challenge called Fitness Frenzy during November in honor of its 25th anniversary.

\0x200B"Fitness Frenzy is going to be a great program for students because they will get to learn about and experience many of the various programs that the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness has to offer," said senior Laura DelPrato, a fitness assistant at the gym. "Freshmen especially will benefit if they have not yet discovered all of the fitness and wellness resources at the gym."

Up to 100 participants can register for the Frenzy, which will include three major events and other minor events throughout the month.

\0x200B"We tried to come up with something that highlights our tradition and also provides a fun way to get students active and participating in recreation and wellness," fitness manager Seth Hickerson said. "It really gives you a reason to try something new."

\0x200BThe first event will be a Homecoming 5K run. The race starts at 9 a.m. on Nov. 2, the Saturday of Homecoming Weekend. The run will be held on campus and is open to students, faculty and staff. A separate registration will be required for this event.

The second event of the Frenzy is called Turbo Glow and will take place 6-7 p.m. Nov. 6. Contestants will wear neon clothing and glow stick bracelets and learn how to perform basic kickboxing moves to the beat of exciting music.

\0x200B"I came up with the idea of Turbo Glow because my previous Turbo Kick instructor, Josette Puig, always created a party-like atmosphere in her Turbo Kick classes," DelPrato said. "The group exercise room overflowed with energy and everyone had so much fun that we forgot we were working out."

The final event, Fitness Feast, will be at 5:15 p.m. Nov. 13. This event will include a variety of different exercise classes that are available at the Weinstein Center. A mix of certified student and volunteer instructors will lead six 15-minute mini-workouts. The classes will include anything from Zumba to yoga.

"The Fitness Feast is an opportunity for people to try things that they might never otherwise have tried," Hickerson said. "I think a lot of students would love to try something like yoga but wouldn't necessarily want to do it on their own."

Participants will win 10 anniversary points for the 5K run and five anniversary points for the Turbo Glow and the Fitness Feast. Points can also be earned by attending separate group exercise classes (two points) and personal training sessions (three points). The goal is to accumulate as many points as possible.

Those who complete the Frenzy and earn 25 anniversary points will be declared winners and receive a Platinum exercise T-shirt. The gym has hosted a November fitness month in the past, but nothing as extravagant as this year.

\0x200B"It'll be really fun and people like scoring points so you can make it a competition with your friends," Hickerson said. "You'll feel better about yourself for being a part of this."

\0x200BRegistration will open at 9 a.m. on Oct. 21. Participants can register online on the gym's website via the Google doc or they can register at member services. All registrants will receive a free T-shirt.

Contact reporter Oliver Murphy at oliver.murphy@richmond.edu