Cuccinelli loses to perceived extremism and weak fundraising

Governor of Virginia will be Terry McAuliffe's first elective office. The former chairman of the Democratic National Committee gained stature through his work leading two Clinton presidential campaigns: Bill's in 1996 and Hillary's in 2008. He previously ran for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination in 2009, but lost to state Sen. Creigh Deeds.

Ken Cuccinelli had become the standard-bearer of socially conservative Virginia Republicans through his activism as attorney general. He won the Republican nomination over Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, a moderate Republican who had been considered the presumptive successor to Gov. Bob McDonnell. McDonnell was limited to a single term by the Virginia Constitution.

Bolling's successor will be state Sen. Ralph Northam, a fiscally conservative pediatric neurologist. Northam beat pastor E.W. Jackson, who inspired his party's socially conservative base with fiery rhetoric, but struggled to move past controversial statements and fiscal irregularities.

By deadline, the contest for Cuccinelli's successor had not been called. Republican Mark Obenshain held a 7,000-vote lead over Democrat Mark Herring.

McAuliffe broke 36 years of precedent to become the first Virginia governor elected with his party in control of the White House. If Herring wins, Democrats would hold Virginia's three statewide executive offices for the first time since 1989. Including the state's two senate seats, Democrats would control all of the statewide elected offices for the first time since 1970.

The final months of both candidates' campaigns were dominated by national politics. The government shutdown instigated by Republicans in the House of Representatives to block implementation of President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act hurt the Republican brand among voters, and particularly Virginia's more than 300,000 federal employees. Polls showed that a recent dip in Cuccinelli's support had coincided with the shutdown.

"The Republican Party is divided, and McAuliffe played to that weakenss," said Dan Palazzolo, a professor of political science at University of Richmond.

The advent of the new health care system was fraught with problems and criticisms, and Cuccinelli attempted to associate McAuliffe with the increasing unpopularity of the Affordable Care Act.

Both candidates brought social issues to the forefront of their campaigns. Cuccinelli's passionate opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage made him a star of the Tea Party movement, but alienated moderate voters. McAuliffe ran against a perceived extremism in Cuccinelli's platform, Palazzolo said.

"People planning to vote for McAuliffe don't even support him," Palazzolo said, positing that these people were voting against Cuccinelli and his message.

Fox News estimated that $54 million had been raised for this election, and much of that went to McAuliffe. The master fundraiser collected $15 million more than Cuccinelli, and targeted ads at his opponent throughout the state.

"It's been one attack ad after another," Palazzolo said, noting that more than 75 percent of McAuliffe's campaign ads had been negative in tone.

Gov. Bob McDonnell's absence from this campaign has been obvious, and Palazzolo said it had hurt Cuccinelli. The Republican governor has been dealing with an ethical scandal that has sapped his popularity for the past several months, and Cuccinelli distanced himself from him.

"McDonnell's lack of ability to raise money and campaign for Cuccinelli has hurt him," Palazzolo said.

Republicans maintained control of the House of Delegates, holding on to at least 66 seats by deadline. However, contested elections for the potential open seats of Northam and Herring could change the composition of the state Senate, Palazzolo said.

Down the ticket in Henrico County, voters approved a meal's tax four years after rejecting one. The 4-percent tax on prepared foods sold in the county would raise about $18 million per year, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

County officials had urged approval of the tax to help fund the school system. Noting a projected $100 million gap in the county's budget for the next five years, the Board of Supervisors sought to increase revenue without raising property tax rates.

"Without a new, dedicated revenue stream, Henrico schools would have to consider cutting approximately $18 [million] to $22 million, which may result in the elimination of 240 teaching positions," spokesman Andy Jenks told the Times-Dispatch.

The tax faced strong opposition from Henrico restaurant owners, but found concerted support from the real estate industry, which formed a political group named Yes 4 Henrico Kids.

Contact staff writer Ben Panko at ben.panko@richmond.edu