Rapid Recap: Richmond 74 - Hofstra 63

Final Score: Richmond 74 - Hofstra 63

What Happened: Despite not leading in regulation, Richmond escaped Tuesday night's game against Hofstra with a 74-63 victory. The Spiders outscored the Pride 16-5 in overtime in way to its victory. Cedrick Lindsay led the Spiders with 26 points and Kendall Anthony added 18 points. No other Spider scored more than 7 points. Zeke Uphshaw led all scorers with 37 points. Hofstra led for much of the first half, but a pair of three pointers from Kendall Anthony cut the Pride's lead to 20-19 with 4:35 left. Hofstra finished the half on a 13-5 run and led 33-24 at the break. Anthony and Cedrick Lindsay combined for 18 of the Spiders first half points. Richmond shot 4-14 fromm three-point range in the opening 20 minutes and were out-rebounded, 19-10. Early in the second half, Richmond continued to shoot a lot of threes and continued to shoot a poor percentage from beyond the arc. The Spiders scored nine points in the opening four minutes of the half, but then went on four-minute scoring drought as Hofstra extended its lead to as big as 11. A Kendall Anthony three followed by a Derrick Williams layup cut the Pride's lead to 4 and brought the crowd to life midway through the half, but Hofstra regained control of the game and extended its lead to as much as nine. A quick 9-0 run sparked by Trey Davis' hustle tied the game at 51 with five minutes left. Hofstra regained the lead for much of the last five minutes, but a three-point play by Derrick Williams tied the game at 58 with 48 seconds remaining. Hofstra missed a floater and Trey Davis was grabbed as he pulled down the rebound with 12 seconds left. He missed the front end of a one-and-ane but responded by blocking a floater at the buzzer to send the game to overtime. A 7-0 run between 3:44 and 1:45 and timely foul shooting led the Spiders to its victory.

Spider Positives: When most of the Spiders could not produce much offensively, Lindsay and Anthony were able to pick up much of the slack. Anthony's shooting in the first half is what kept the Spiders in the game and Lindsay seemed to make a play when the Spiders were desperate for one. The two combined for 44 of Richmond's 74 points. Hofstra dominated much of the stats tonight, but controlled the turnover differential. The Spiders forced 19 turnovers while committing 8, and this differential kept the Spiders in the game. Richmond trailed for most of regulation but showed grit in its ability to come back and dominate overtime.

Spider Negatives: Once again, the Spiders three-point shooting hurt the Spiders and was a reason why they lost. The Spiders shot 8-26 from three. Something will have to change - whether it be making more shots or taking less three-point shots - or else the Spiders will struggle offensively this season. Hofstra dominated the Spiders at the free-throw line, making 24 of its 33 foul shots compared to Richmond's 14-26 foul shooting. It's difficult to win a game, when the difference in terms of free-throw attempts and makes is this vast. Hofstra controlled the glass throughout, out-rebounging the Spiders, 44-37.

Up Next: Richmond will play No. 9 North Carolina on Saturday at the Moehegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Ct. as part of the Hall of Fame Tip Off. The Spiders will play either No. 3 Louisville or Fairfield on Sunday.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @Jack_Nicholson