Basketball completes tournament with 68-47 win over Fairfield

A day after losing to eventual Hall of Fame Tipoff champion University of North Carolina, 82-72, University of Richmond men's basketball team held the Fairfield Stags to a season-low 47 points and made 26 of its 32 foul shots as it comfortably won, 68-47.

Richmond head coach Chris Mooney said he had been pleased with how his team had responded to its loss to No. 24 UNC.

"We really felt we were very close in the game yesterday," Mooney said. "And it's natural to feel disappointment--we'd rather be playing against Louisville... I thought we really handled that well."

Terry Allen led all players with 16 points. Alonzo Nelson-Ododa had nine points and eight rebounds, and Derrick Williams added 11 points.

Cedrick Lindsay, who scored his 1,000-career point on a 3-pointer a minute into the game, finished with only seven points.

"It's a great feeling, but it means nothing if we don't get wins, and we don't go to the tournament," Lindsay said.

Lindsay's seven points were his lowest this season, but he took on more of a facilitating role today.

"[Lindsay] has a great understanding of how we're playing and what needs to be done next." Mooney said.

Richmond outscored the Stags 13-2 in the first six minutes, and Fairfield could not cut the Spider's lead to fewer than 10 points for the remainder of the game.

Fairfield did not reach double figures scoring until there was less than five minutes left in the half, and by that point, Richmond had the game in hand.

The Spiders forced Fairfield into nine first-half turnovers while only committing two.

Richmond's superior athleticism gave Fairfield trouble, Allen said. Richmond used its depth; nine different Spiders scored in the first half. For the game, nine Spiders played at least 14 minutes and no one played more than 27 minutes.

A Lindsay floater at the buzzer symbolized a first half dominated by the Spiders, and Richmond led 36-17 at the break.

Allen led Richmond with 10 second-half points as the Spiders glided to its victory. Fairfield did not get within 14 points of Richmond in the second half.

Richmond travels Wednesday to Colorado Springs, Colo., to take on the Air Force Falcons, whom Mooney coached before coming to Richmond.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu