Rapid Recap: Baseball loses home opener

After rain forced the cancelation of their first two scheduled home games, the University of Richmond baseball team finally played its home opener on Saturday, which it lost to Seton Hall University, 8-2.

Sophomore third baseman Matt Dacey provided the offense for Richmond in his first collegiate start. Dacey, a transfer student from University of Michigan, went 2-for-4 with a towering two-run home run to right center field.

The Richmond bats were quiet for most of the rest of the game, tallying only six hits to Seton Hall's 13. Dacey was the only hitter to record multiple hits.

Seton Hall gained a lead on the Spiders early in the game, scoring six runs over the first three innings, knocking starting pitcher junior Jonathan de Marte from the game early.

Junior Zak Sterling relieved de Marte, pitching three and one-third innings and giving up two more earned runs.

Richmond's three other relievers, junior James Lively and sophomores Dan Martinson and Ryan Donnelly, kept the Pirates from scoring for the remainder of the game, but Richmond was unable to rally.

The loss moved the team's record to 0-4 after losing all three games in the UNF Best Bet Classic in Florida to open the season.

"[After starting 0-4] we've got a chip on our shoulder," Dacey said. "Tomorrow we've got to stay a little bit more focused, and try to take both games. We definitely don't want to get swept."

The final two games of the series will be played in a double header on Sunday, Feb. 23 starting at 11 a.m.

Contact staff writer Erin Flynn at erin.flynn@richmond.edu