Rapid Recap: Baseball drops first game of double header

The baseball team lost to Seton Hall University, 16-2, in the first game of a double header on Sunday.

The Pirates again struck early, as they did in their win over the Spiders on Saturday, and scored six runs in the first two innings.

Senior pitcher Dylan Stoops took the loss for Richmond, pitching a total of three and one-third innings and allowing eight runs - only two of which were earned - on five hits and two walks.

Senior Andrew Blum relieved Stoops and allowed four runs of his own. Freshman Robbie Baker made his first appearance at Pitt Field and gave up three walks and a single, walking one run in before being pulled from the game after recording just one out. Junior James Lively gave up Seton Hall's final run on a home run in the ninth inning.

Seniors Mike Small and Chris Bell provided the offense for the Spiders in the sixth inning when Small singled and Bell doubled, finally putting Richmond on the board.

Sophomore Matt Dacey singled in the ninth inning and was brought home by a double from junior Eric Flanagan, but the run support was too little too late for the Spiders.

The Spiders were not without their opportunities to score. They had eight hits and four walks, but stranded 13 men on base.

The second game of the double header is scheduled to begin at 2:50 p.m.

Contact staff writer Erin Flynn at erin.flynn@richmond.edu