Peace Corps shortens application process, helps with loans

In a recent press from Sept. 19, Carrie Hessler-Radelet, Peace Corps director, called on college students to consider making a difference through service by volunteering for the Peace Corps. Hessler-Radelet emphasized the Peace Corp’s new, shorter application process.

The application process was updated last July. This process is much simpler and faster than it was in previous years, and can be completed in less than one hour. The previous application took more than eight hours.

Peace Corps applicants can also now choose specific countries and programs that they want to apply to. Each open position now has “Apply By” and “Know By” deadlines clearly marked. These clear deadlines are to give applicants more certainty as they plan for their future.

Hessler-Radelet said that with the new application process, they were seeing record numbers of Americans applying for the Peace Corps.

Senior Camille Pittman is currently applying to the Peace Corps. Pittman said she thought these application changes were great, and she may not have followed through with her decision to apply if the application had been longer.

“I think these changes are a good thing — they will increase the pool of applicants, so hopefully that will increase the caliber of the people they accept,” Pittman said.

Francie Edwards, another senior, said she had used to want to apply to the Peace Corps, but after spending a semester in Morocco and talking to Peace Corps volunteers there, she had realized it was not the right choice for her.

Edwards said she thought some of the new changes were good, but worried that the shorter application might overwhelm the Peace Corps with applications from people who weren't serious about joining.

The Peace Corps has also pledged to expand their outreach efforts on ways to reduce student loan debt from their volunteers. In a press release from Sept. 23, Hessler-Radelet said, “Student loan debt is a significant factor for many young people considering public service, including Peace Corps volunteers, so it is incumbent upon us to help educate them on the benefits available.”

Pittman said she thought it was great that the Peace Corps helped with student loans, and that it was a big factor in her decision to apply.

Applications to be a Peace Corps volunteer are due Sept. 30

Contact reporter Bridget Friendly at bridget.friendly@richmond.edu