Richmond football will try to avoid back-to-back losses this Saturday when they host Hampton University.

The Spiders surrendered a victory to UVA last weekend. The team did not get outplayed for the most part, but egregious errors, particularly the seven turnovers, skewed the final score heavily in favor of the Cavaliers.

Richmond hopes to right the ship against the Hampton Pirates, a team that has showed promise early in the season despite its 0-2 record. Hampton nearly upset a powerful Old Dominion team in its season opener, and played a closer game with William and Mary than the 28-point loss suggested.

The Pirates come into Richmond boasting a high-powered passing game. In fact, Hampton had nearly 100 more yards of total offense than William and Mary in last week’s matchup. Quarterback Jaylian Williamson could be a threat to the Spiders’ defense, as he has thrown for 742 yards in just two starts.

The Spiders’ players are aware that the Pirates can steal a victory if they are underestimated. It seems that head coach Danny Rocco is not going to let that happen, as many players have acknowledged seeing the athleticism and competitiveness of Hampton on film.

Although Hampton has been effective, it will be difficult for the team to keep up with the Spiders’ offense. Richmond earned 88 more yards of offense than UVA last week, and has over 1,000 total yards in just two games.

Multiple Richmond players have said the team was confident about its chances this weekend and fully expected to win. The Spiders hope to build momentum before they start conference play one week from Saturday.

The Spiders’ game against Hampton will take place 6 p.m. Saturday in Robins Stadium.

Contact Collegian Reporter Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu