Remains identified as missing Virginia student Hannah Graham

<p>UVa. student Hannah Graham has been missing for five weeks.  Photo courtesy of Charlottesville, Virginia police department.</p>

UVa. student Hannah Graham has been missing for five weeks.  Photo courtesy of Charlottesville, Virginia police department.

Human remains found in southern Albemarle County on Oct. 18 have been identified as those of missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, the police said.

The County of Albemarle Police Department published a news release today stating that the remains were sent to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Richmond and resulted in a positive identification.

“Officers and detectives have been working around the clock to process the scene and preserve evidence,” the release said.

Graham was last seen with a man named Jesse Matthew, 32, in surveillance footage captured around 1 a.m. on Sept. 13.

Matthew was arrested in Texas and charged with abduction with intent to defile, but Prosecutor Denise Lunsford said new charges against Matthew were being evaluated.