Sunday, May 05, 2024

Ferguson police collude with FAA

Government efforts kept media from documenting the riots in Ferguson, Missouri

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, persuaded the Federal Aviation Administration to block news helicopters from the area, according to tapes released by The Associated Press.

The White House has defended the no-fly zone, saying the FAA “took the prudent step.”

While police continue to deny the government enforced a no-fly zone aimed at the media, the tapes acquired by the AP reveal conversations between FAA and law enforcement officials explicitly mentioning media aircraft. 

“It [would] allow them to run the aircraft on final there at St. Louis, [but] it will still keep news people out,” a FAA manager said, referring to the temporary flight restriction. 

“They [St. Louis County Police] finally admitted it really was to keep the media out,” another FAA manager said.

“Yeah... I have no problem with that whatsoever,” Jon Belmar, St. Louis County police captain, said.

Even on the ground, the police response was not much friendlier toward crowds and media coverage.

Following the death of unarmed, black teenager Michael Brown, Ferguson police responded to rioting in the streets with tear gas, rubber bullets, and dogs.

Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri said of the police response: “This was a military force, and they were facing down an enemy.”

One reporter told CNN rubber bullets and tear gas were being deliberately fired at his crew, having “a chilling effect on our ability to cover this important story.”

Another reporter with The Washington Post was detained in a Ferguson McDonald’s.

Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday, "Anything that would artificially inhibit the ability of newsgatherers to do what they do is something I think needs to be avoided.” Holder recently announced his resignation from office, but has decided to remain attorney general until a successor is named.

Contact reporter Adam Gibson at adam.gibson@richmond.edu