Richmond ranks top 10 for number of study abroad and international students

University of Richmond is among the top 10 U.S. baccalaureate universities in numbers of international students and students studying abroad, according to a new report from the Institute for International Education.

The 2014 Open Doors survey ranked Richmond as second in total number of study abroad students during the 2012-2013 academic year, and fifth among baccalaureate universities in number of students studying abroad for a semester or longer. During that year, 605 Richmond students studied abroad, with 329 of those students staying overseas for more than one semester. The most popular destinations were Spain, the United Kingdom, Italy, Denmark and France, according to the 2014 annual report from the Office of International Education.

“Study abroad, of any length, but in particular for a semester or longer, creates opportunities for students to experience first-hand and immerse themselves in different cultural contexts and different educational systems,” Joe Hoff said, interim dean of international education. “By doing so, students gain the skills, knowledge and qualities needed for successful interaction with those from other cultures.”

Richmond also ranked seventh among baccalaureate universities for number of international students for the 2013-2014 academic year, with a total of 393 students – 12 percent of the school's undergraduate population. Nearly a third of those students hail from China, according to the OIE annual report, with Spain, the United Kingdom, India and the Bahamas being other top countries.

“The large number of international students enriches the campus through intellectual exchanges both within and outside of the classroom,” Hoff said.

Senior Rotimi Omorodion, a native of Lagos, Nigeria, found himself drawn to Richmond by its reputation. "I didn't care too much about what the campus looked like, but I heard good things about student life and food here," he said.

Approximately 3,000 institutions were included in the Open Doors report, with categories based on the 2010 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

Contact reporter Ben Panko at ben.panko@richmond.edu