Men's basketball briefly stranded after win at St. Bonaventure

<p>Richmond's initial tweet after the Will Bryan and the rest of the passengers realized they were stuck in a snow drift. Many more tweets followed.</p>

Richmond's initial tweet after the Will Bryan and the rest of the passengers realized they were stuck in a snow drift. Many more tweets followed.

Richmond men’s basketball beat conference-foe St. Bonaventure Wednesday night. But the Spiders did not beat the snow.

Following the 71-56 win, the team's bus became stuck in a snow bank en route to the airport in Bradford, Pennsylvania, said Will Bryan, associate director of public relations for Richmond Athletics.

The bus driver tried to turn around in a small driveway in a remote area after missing a turn during the roughly 45-minute drive from St. Bonaventure to the airport, Bryan said, but the driver ended up backing into in a snow bank. After multiple attempts to push the bus out of the bank failed, it became evident a tow was needed, Bryan said. 

While the Spiders waited to be rescued, they kept their fans updated by live-Tweeting from the scene, using the hashtag #URStuck:

Richmond fans joined in on the live-Tweeting fun, too.

Even some VCU fans joined in on the fun. Some were more thoughtful of Richmond’s situation than others:

While the Spiders were stuck, Duke and North Carolina were tangled in what would turn out to be one of the best college basketball games of the season. Many of the players were fixated in the game, Bryan said.

Once the game finally ended, players became more restless, Bryan said.

At 12:13 a.m., after about 90 minutes of waiting, the Spiders were finally free.

The Spiders arrived at the airport about 15 minutes after they had been rescued, Bryan said, and their chartered flight landed in Richmond around 1:45 a.m.

On Thursday morning, Richmond’s win hadn’t garnered much attention, but its elongated trip to the airport drew coverage from The Washington Post.

The Spiders will host George Washington Saturday, but Richmond reached out to the Colonials Wednesday night to jokingly discuss possible schedule changes.