Richmond men's lacrosse wins first game of season

Men's lacrosse beat Saint Joseph's 9-5

The University of Richmond men’s lacrosse team opened its season with a 9-5 victory against Saint Joseph’s University, the fewest goals the team has ever allowed in a game.

Richmond’s sophomore goalie Benny Pugh saved 15 out of 20 shots on goal from Saint Joseph’s. The Hawks, however, outshot Richmond 41-33 with Richmond and Saint Joseph’s each scoring three goals in the final quarter.

“We watch a lot of film, so we just did what we needed to do,” Pugh said. “We’ve been trying to beat them since day one of the preseason.”

Richmond’s defensive effort propelled the team to success after what could have been costly mistakes. In the fourth quarter, after committing penalties, Richmond was down three men and managed to hold off six shots on goal.

“The three guys in there stood really strong, they weathered the storm for as long as they needed to,” Richmond coach Dan Chemotti said. “We got a little bit lucky there as well, and once that was over, I think our momentum just increased tremendously, and I think theirs decreased quite a bit.”

Richmond’s offense also excelled with VMI senior transfer, Mickey Hofmeister, scoring a hat-trick in the game. Hofmeister, who scored one goal in the third, sealed Richmond’s win with his two goals in the final quarter.

“It’s always important to get the season rolling off on the right foot,” Hofmeister said. “It’s kind of a confidence boost and their pre-season, they had a lot of hype, that team, a really good athletic team. To beat a team like that right off the bat, it’s huge for us.”

Richmond held Saint Joseph’s scoreless for almost two quarters, with the Hawks scoring early in the second quarter and not again until the fourth quarter. Over that time, Richmond scored four goals and built a lead that they held onto until the final whistle, ultimately proving to be insurmountable for the Hawks.

“Every win is so valuable,” Chemotti said. “You take them any way you can get them. To be able to get the first one of the year will hopefully be some good momentum for our guys.” 

Contact Online Editor Lindsay Schneider at lindsay.schneider@richmond.edu