Rapid recap: Richmond women's basketball defeats VCU

Richmond women’s basketball defeated rival VCU 67-63 on Wednesday.

The Spiders took the lead just once with about three minutes remaining in the game, but they did not surrender that lead after stealing it from the Rams.

The Spiders started off slow, and several key players were in foul trouble. Possessing the ball was also an issue for the team early on, as it committed most of its turnovers in the first half of the game.

Richmond kept the game close, trailing 33-28 at halftime, but it was clear that VCU was in control, especially because of its strong performance from bench players.

Sophomore guard Janelle Hubbard and junior guard Lauren Tolson combined for 23 of Richmond’s 28 points. A second-half surge helped the team overcome the Rams late in the game.

The team refocused at half time, and came out more competitive. Hubbard provided 12 of her game-high 24 points in the second half. She shot an impressive seven of 13 from the field and connected on four 3-pointers. Hubbard also grabbed 5 rebounds, which rounded out her performance.

Senior center Liz Brown provided a strong offensive second half, which assisted in the Spiders comeback against the Rams. She scored 13 of her 15 points in the second half, and shot 71 percent from the field. Brown hit two crucial 3-pointers that provided momentum for the team to rally and take the lead.

The women’s record improved to 14-8, and the team gained a much-needed victory in the Atlantic 10. This is the second consecutive victory, and the team will try to carry this momentum into its next game against Saint Louis on Feb. 7.