Track and field places second at Atlantic 10 championships

Richmond’s track and field team earned second place at the Atlantic 10 Indoor Championships in Rhode Island over the weekend.

The Spiders, who were led by Marisa Ruskan and Taylor Clevinger, earned 105 total points to place second among 13 teams. Virginia Commonwealth University placed first with 125 points.

Ruskan placed first in the mile with a time of four minutes and 57 seconds to earn 11 points for the Spiders. Clevinger, who has finished in the top three at the A-10 championships in the 1000-meter race each of her four years, won that event with a time of two minutes and 54 seconds. She now has six gold medals in her career.

The Spiders also took first place in the women’s distance medley, finishing in 11 minutes and 44 seconds. The team, composed of Clevinger, Jade Gregory, Alyson McGonigle and Jill Prentice, finished seven seconds ahead of the next team.

The 4x800 relay team came in second to Fordham, but ran faster than the previous A-10 record with a time of nine minutes and four seconds. The team comprised Ruskan, Clevinger, McGonigle and Kaelyn Heinicke.

All of the information in this article is courtesy of Richmond Athletics.