Anthony lifts Spiders over ASU

<p>TJ Cline shoots a 3-pointer during the first half. Cline finished with 19 points.</p>

TJ Cline shoots a 3-pointer during the first half. Cline finished with 19 points.

Yet again, the scene in the Robins Center was loud, tense and nerve-racking as the Spiders headed to overtime against the Arizona State Sun Devils. 

With about two minutes left, the score was tied. Neither team could pull away, and the crowd was waiting for its Clark Kent to turn back into Superman. Would he fulfill their hopes and save the day as he has so many times before? 

One minute and 40 seconds remained on the clock. Kendall Anthony used a screen to create separation and lofted a 3-point shot over an oncoming defender. He was knocked over, the whistle blew for a foul, then the shot went in. Four-point play from Richmond's hero, and the Spiders went on to win 76-70. 

With that play, the Spiders gained a four-point lead that they would not surrender again. Anthony was labeled an "assassin" on Twitter by A10Talk.com. His career in the Robins Center is not over yet. 

But, as is typical from Richmond's leader, his career did not cross his mind during the game. He scored 21 points, seven of which were in overtime. He just wanted to win for his teammates. 

"I just focused on winning," Anthony said. "All thanks to my team. They really came out and played and I think they played for me too."

TJ Cline, who played as well as anyone with 19 points and four assists, echoed the idea that the Spiders played for their senior leader. "When you're playing with one of the greats that ever run through this program, you always think, 'Hey, this isn't going to be the last game we're playing for Kendall,'" Cline said. "He's given this program so much, we're going to give it back to him."

Although Anthony was spectacular on Sunday night, Richmond would not have won without other key contributors. 

ShawnDre' Jones shot 6-of-7 from the field and scored 15 points, none more important than the two he scored on a contested jump-shot with 48 seconds left. Terry Allen scored 17 points, all in the second half, made four free throws to secure the win and grabbed two rebounds in the final 10 seconds. 

The Spiders looked prepared to finish out this game, which can be attributed to all of the close games they've played this season. Richmond began the season 4-10 in games decided by six points or fewer, but the team is 4-1 in such games since. 

Richmond coach Chris Mooney thought the 18 close games prior to Sunday prepared his team to finish strong and with confidence. "I do think having been involved in so many has really helped us," Mooney said. "I think we're so confident in our guards, that really helps, but also that other guys can make plays and handle the ball."

The biggest issue for the Spiders was rebounding. Arizona State had 15 offensive rebounds and 46 total rebounds, compared with just 2 and 30 rebounds respectively for Richmond. 

The Spiders will face another tall, strong team on Tuesday in the third round of the NIT. The Miami Hurricanes, who beat Duke by 16 points earlier this season, will travel to the Robins Center. 

Win or lose, Tuesday's game will be Anthony's last in the Robins Center. His last home game will be against an ACC opponent, and an NIT Final Four berth will be on the line, something Richmond's program has never achieved. 

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu