Ayers addresses both controversial and humorous topics at the President's Forum

<p>"Be 22. Live Hard. That doesn't mean getting drunk every weekend, it means discovering who you are and doing amazing things whenever you can because you won't be young forever" outgoing president Ed Ayers advised.</p>

"Be 22. Live Hard. That doesn't mean getting drunk every weekend, it means discovering who you are and doing amazing things whenever you can because you won't be young forever" outgoing president Ed Ayers advised.

Outgoing Richmond President Ed Ayers answered previously submitted student questions and participated in a live Q&A session at the President's Forum, hosted by University of Richmond’s Mortar Board Chapter, in the Ukrop Auditorium Wednesday night.

President Ayers is stepping down after 7 years in the position.

With about 15 students, not including the Mortar Board Chapter representatives, in attendance, the forum began with Ayers answering what the most rewarding aspect of being the President of the University of Richmond has been. 

“I saw that it was not unlike teaching that we’re smarter together than we are individually,” President Ayers said.

Controversy was addressed when the board asked why the men’s track and field team was cut. President Ayers addressed this as a difficult decision that has led to a greater good.

“The board struggled with this a lot. It was one of the harder things I had to do in the last 7 years,” President Ayers said.

Students submitted more light-hearted questions, appealing to President Ayers’ humorous side. Such questions included whether he continues to play racquetball in his limited free time.

“This is very important that everyone get this straight," Ayers said. "I haven’t played racquetball in a while, but I play squash. And it isn’t until you play squash that you care about the difference.”

Students in attendance, such as freshman Alice Depasse, found President Ayers to be informative and entertaining during the forum.

“It’s a shame to see him go, though I am so happy he’ll be teaching on campus next year,” Depasse said.

The forum ended with President Ayers giving advice to his 22 year-old-self and for the students in attendance.

“Be 22. And that doesn’t just mean jello shots. It means travel, get out, live hard.”

Contact news assistant Mariam Eatedali at mariam.eatedali@richmond.edu