Man charged with manslaughter for role in crash that killed UR faculty member

<p>The Outlander jumped the median, ran through a fence and hit the front of a home across, according to reports. <a href="https://twitter.com/RichmondPolice/status/587701155578388480">Photo courtesy of Richmond Police Department</a>.</p>

The Outlander jumped the median, ran through a fence and hit the front of a home across, according to reports. Photo courtesy of Richmond Police Department.

Robert Stevens Gentil, a 32-year-old Richmond Public Schools teacher, was charged with felony involuntary manslaughter for his involvement in the fatal car crash that killed University of Richmond faculty member, Elizabeth B. Pryor, 64.

Gentil’s white Mitsubishi Outlander hit Pryor’s silver Audi at the intersection of Grove and Commonwealth avenues Monday afternoon, according to Richmond Police.

Both vehicles were headed east on Grove Avenue when Gentil’s Outlander struck Pryor’s Audi from behind, according to CBS 6. The Outlander then jumped the median, ran through a fence and hit the front of a home across from Mary Munford Elementary School. Richmond police blocked off the intersection of Grove and Commonwealth avenues to investigate the scene.

Witnesses told police that the Outlander had been traveling between 80-90 mph when it hit the Audi, according to CBS.

Pryor contributed to many programs at the University of Richmond, including working as a course leader for the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, a group at Richmond for students ages 50 and older. In addition, she worked as both a senior diplomat in the U.S. Foreign Service and an award-winning historian. She wrote numerous books including "Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee through his Private Letters," which won numerous prizes including the Lincoln Prize and the Jefferson Davis Award, according to the University of Richmond website.

“The University of Richmond community is saddened to learn of the passing of Elizabeth Pryor. She was a tremendous contributor to several of our programs,” UR President Edward Ayers said in a statement.

Gentil has worked as a IB Spanish teacher at Thomas Jefferson High School for the past four years, according to the school’s website. According to CBS 6, Gentil had multiple driving infractions, at least four of which were due to speeding, all occurring in the past seven years.

Gentil's arraignment, originally scheduled for 8:45 a.m April 16, was delayed, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.

Contact news assistant Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu.