Welcome new Spiders! We are so excited to have you on campus for your first semester. Here are some helpful hints we wish we knew about Richmond when we were on your position:
1) Your SpiderCard is your new best friend
You’ll need it to get into your dorm AND to buy food, so basically you cannot live without it.
2) Don’t wear your lanyard on your neck while walking around campus
It’s a total freshman move.
3) Class registration is like the Hunger Games
Bannerweb usually decides to crash right at 7 a.m. during registration, but it’s not actually the end of the world.
Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter
4) You really can’t swim in the lake
I wouldn’t recommend trying.
5) Costumes are not just for Halloween
Bring all of your old costumes and funny outfits because almost every weekend has a different themed party and we love to dress up in ridiculous attire.
6) Try to escape the “Richmond Bubble” at least a few times each semester
Campus is beautiful, but the City of Richmond also has some great areas that are easy to get to and fun to explore.
7) Dhall mozzarella sticks are worth getting out of bed for
Just trust me, they really are.
8) It’s completely acceptable to get 8:15 multiple times while at the library
Let’s be honest, the main reason we get out of bed and walk to the library is because we know that we can get Starbucks with dining dollars.
9) Orientation will give you tons of great memories that you’ll never forget
There is a lot of information in a short amount of time, but you will grow really close with your group and have funny stories to tell your friends.
10) Don’t be afraid to try new things
Sign up for a few clubs that interest you and get out of your comfort zone by introducing yourself to new people. You might surprise yourself by finding something new that you enjoy.
As you will soon find out, University of Richmond is a great place to be and you will meet so many great people. Follow these helpful hints, and have an amazing time here at UR!
Contact Lauren Gill at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support independent student media
You can make a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below, which takes you to our secure PayPal account. The page is set up to receive contributions in whatever amount you designate. We look forward to using the money we raise to further our mission of providing honest and accurate information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the general public.Donate Now