Art professor charged with arson, accused of setting fire to art studio

A University of Richmond professor was charged with two counts of arson after being accused of setting fire to an art studio and a vehicle trailer at his home. He told officers responding to the scene that a room in his home was “booby trapped” and that anyone trying to enter the area of the home where he stored his weapons “would have a bad day,” the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.

David Mark Rhodes, an associate professor of art, had been reportedly grieving the recent death of his wife when he was arrested at his home in Goochland, Va. July 28, according to the Times-Dispatch.

Rhodes’ wife, Elizabeth Kirkland, died on April 3, 2015, according to an obituary from the Times-Dispatch. The two were married for 24 years.

Rhodes appeared in court in Goochland August 3. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Sept. 14.

A woman at Rhodes' house informed police of a fire at the house, according to the Times-Dispatch. Dawn Douglas Yates had been staying with Rhodes for several days, and said he had become upset when she told him she was going to the store, threatening to burn his life’s work if she left. Yates left, and returned to the burning home.

Rhodes then told law enforcement responding to the scene that he had a gun in every room and cameras recording the weapons.

Jim Newell, a UR student who took the first-year seminar “Contemplative Tradition in Arts” with Rhodes in fall 2014, said Rhodes was a great professor.

“He was always enthusiastic and excited about the material he was presenting while also taking his student's input seriously," Newell said. "I enjoyed his class and his teaching techniques so much so that I recommended the class to several of my peers.”

In the spring 2015 semester, Rhodes taught two sections of sculpture methods, a course that fulfills Richmond’s visual and performing arts requirement, with Fiona Donaghey Ross, according to Richmond’s course catalog. Ross declined to comment.

Cynthia Price, Richmond's director of media and public relations, wrote in an email that Rhodes is employed by Richmond and is on sabbatical through the end of the calendar year, but could not discuss specifics because it’s a personal matter.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu